Social Media Manager
Digital - NYC
Overview/Purpose: The Forward is seeking an experienced and creative Social Media Manager to make sure readers encounter our amazing stories on all current and emerging digital platforms, engage with our unique brand of journalism, and help us find new audiences. The Forward delivers incisive coverage of the people, issues, ideas and institutions that matter to American Jews in an expanding digital operation that is attracting a growing audience every day.
The Social Media Manager will act as the liaison between the Forward and social companies like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, YouTube, Pinterest, Reddit and Snapchat. He or she will also champion social media throughout our newsroom, elevating skills of individual staff members and devising new and creative ways to tell stories.
Qualified candidates should be steeped in the latest social media trends, enjoy a fast-paced environment with a real-time, nimble editorial strategy, and be a numbers monster able to make effective use of data analysis. At least 2 years’ experience is required. The role will report to the Director of Community and Audience Development and is based in New York City.
Now in its 120th year of operation, the Forward’s rigorous reporting and balanced commentary on politics, arts and culture has won awards year after year. In 2016, we have embarked on an ambitious, company-wide digital strategy. This is an excellent opportunity to join this dynamic staff.
• Oversee daily posting to all of the Forward’s social channels.
• Make sure that the Forward is an early presence on new social platforms.
• Develop and circulate best practices to contributors and staff.
• Proactively build relationships with key social media platforms, and bring insights to the organization to ensure we’re reacting to the platform changes.
• Work with our edit, design, and video teams to help produce highly sharable original content that’s produced for exclusively social distribution.
• Work with business and marketing partners.
• Collaborate with our Audience Development team to understand the effectiveness of social channels and posts, and work to improve the effectiveness of every post through techniques like audience segmentation, geotargeting, etc.
Desired Skills & Qualifications:
• A strong understanding of social media platforms and trends and a proven track record of scaling those platforms.
• Experience developing and executing top-tier social media content.
• Measurable success creating a brand’s social media strategy through innovative concepts and business development partnerships
• Experience successfully managing and motivating a team
• A nuanced, thoughtful understanding of social media messaging around current events, sensitive issues, or controversial topics
• Excellent judgment
• Analytic skills and a strong understanding of how to track and respond to data in real time ability to turn social listening data into actionable, engaging social content plans
Apply now, send cover letter and resume to Sharon Gitelle, email@example.com