U.S. Officials: Israel Struck Convoy in Sudan

By Ben Harris (JTA)

Published March 27, 2009.

Anonymous U.S. officials told the New York Times that Israeli warplanes attacked a convoy in Sudan believed to be smuggling arms to Gaza in January.

The report cited unnamed U.S. officials. Israel has refused to confirm or deny the attack; however, outgoing Israeli Prime Minister told a conference in Herzliya on Thursday that “Israel hits every place it can in order to stop terror, near and far.” Many interpreted it as a veiled reference to the Sudan strike. “Those who need to know, know that there is no place where Israel cannot operate,” Olmert said, according to Ha’aretz.

Earlier this week, Sudanese officials blamed the strike on American forces, but on Friday a Sudanese Foreign Ministry spokesman said the attack “most probably involved Israel.”

The airstrike took place in a remote desert area of eastern Sudan, the officials said, according to Reuters. CBS news reported Wednesday on its Web site that the Israeli Air Force carried out the attack on the 17-vehicle convoy, killing 39 and injuring many civilians. The weapons were intended for Hamas, the report said.

Other reports in the United States and Egypt said the United States may have carried out the attack, according to Reuters.



Would you like to receive updates about new stories?






















We will not share your e-mail address or other personal information.

Already subscribed? Manage your subscription.