6 apples, pared, cored and sliced (3 cups)
5 Tbs plus 2 cups sugar
5 tsp. cinnamon
3 cups flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1 Tbs. salt
1 cup salad oil
¼ cup orange juice
1 Tbs. vanilla
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2) Combine the apples, 5 Tbs. sugar and cinnamon and set aside.
3) Sift the flour, remaining sugar, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Make a well in the center and pour in the oil, eggs, orange juice and vanilla.
4) Beat with a wooden spoon until well blended.
5) Spoon one-third of the batter into a greased 9-inch or 10-inch angel food pan. Make a ring of half of the apple mixture drained of excess moisture on top, taking care not to have the apple mixture touching the side of the pan.
6) Spoon another third of the batter over, make a ring of remaining apples and top with remaining batter. Bake one and a quarter hours or until done. Cover top with aluminum foil if it begins to overbrown.
7) Allow to cool to lukewarm in pan before turning out onto a serving plate. This cake can also be made with fresh peaches.