6 eggs, separated
½ cup sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon whiskey
1 tablespoon water
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
dash ground cloves
1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
2 cups ground filberts of walnuts
grated rind of 1 orange
grated ring of 1 lemon
¾ cup honey
1 teaspoon lemon juice
¼ cup water
1) Grease 9 x 13-inch baking pan. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2) Beat egg yolks until thick and lemon colored. Add sugar gradually and continue to beat until mixture is smooth and sugar is absorbed.
3) Stir in vanilla, whisky, 1 tablespoon water, cinnamon, cloves, baking soda, nuts, and grated rinds.
4) Using clean bowl and beaters, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold whites into egg yolk mixture until no white streaks are visible.
5) Pour into prepared pan. Bake in preheated 350 F oven 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Cool cake in pan.
6) Meanwhile prepare syrup. In saucepan, combine honey, lemon juice, and ¼ cup water. Cook until mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat and let cool.
7) With toothpick, poke tiny holes in surface of cake. Pour lukewarm syrup over cake and cool completely in pan. Allow to stand until all syrup is absorbed. Cut into small squares.