(JTA) — President Trump’s recent actions in the Middle East are “a welcome change,” Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told U.S. Secretary of Defense James Mattis during a meeting Friday in Jerusalem.
The “forthright words on the part of President Trump and very forthright deeds against the use of chemical weapons by Iran’s proxy, Syria,” Netanyahu said, have “been appreciated around the world and in our region. I think this is a welcome change, a strategic change of American leadership and American policy.”
A U.S. Navy vessel on April 7 launched 59 missiles into Syria in response to the alleged use of chemical weapons. Former president Barack Obama said the use of chemical weapons was a “red line,” but did not order a strike when such weapons were used.
Netanyahu also noted that Mattis had “very clear and forthright words” about Iran. “We sense a great change in the direction of American policy,” Netanyahu said.
Netanyahu and Obama clashed publicly over the nuclear deal with Iran, which offered the Islamic Republic sanctions relief in exchange for a partial scaling-back of its nuclear program. Netanyahu said the deal “paved Iran’s path” to obtaining nuclear weapons, whereas Obama said it was the best way to block that path.
The Iranians “appear to be living up to their part of the agreement,” Mattis said during a meeting with his Israeli counterpart, Avigdor Lieberman. The nuclear deal “continues to be in force,” he said.
However, he also warned “that in no way mitigates against or excuses the other Iranian activities in the region including the war in Yemen that grinds on and what they’re doing in Syria” to keep Assad in power. “But the agreement on nuclear issues still stands and that’s all I can say about it.”
Who knew Robert De Niro speaking in Yiddish could be so satisfying?
Big shout-out to the comedy series YidLife Crisis for dubbing over some of the most classic film scenes into Yiddish. If you want to see everyone from Judy Garland to Al Pacino say some of their most famous lines with a Jewish twist, watch on. Especially worth it for the translations of the whole When Harry Met Sally “I’ll have what she’s having” scene.
The head of the European Union’s executive arm will meet U.S. financier George Soros next Thursday, a spokeswoman said, as part of consultations on a new Hungarian law that has threatened to force the closure of a university that Soros funds.
The Central European University is at the heart of the latest dispute between Hungary and the European Commission in Brussels, which echoes concern in many Western E.U. countries that Budapest is infringing on rule of law and democratic standards.
The Commission’s spokeswoman said on Wednesday that its deputy head, Frans Timmermans, and two other commissioners will also meet Soros next week, after Brussels already threatened Hungary with legal action the Soros school and rights issues in general.
Sarah Palin refused to definitively answer when asked in a Thursday interview with CNN’s Jake Tapper whether she had been sexually harassed while working at Fox News, which fired top primetime host Bill O’Reilly after years of such allegations.
“I wouldn’t put up with anything that would be perceived as intimidating or harassing,” she told Tapper, adding that she believed that Fox News, where she was a paid commentator for five years, needed a change in its culture.
But when pressed by Tapper, Palin would neither confirm nor deny whether she herself was sexually harassed while working there.
“I just — you know, it was time to part ways and, you know, get out there in, I guess, a more diverse arena to express views and to speak for the public, and that’s what I’ve been able to do now,” she said, explaining her departure from the channel.
Many prominent women at the channel – including former hosts Megyn Kelly, Gretchen Carlson and Andrea Tantaros – have alleged being subjected to sexual harassment by network executives.
O’Reilly is the second Fox bigwig to be forced out after such allegations surfaced — former network head Roger Ailes resigned in July.
(JTA) — A prominent Jewish supporter of the far-right French presidential candidate Marine Le Pen blamed the current government for the death of a police officer in a suspected terrorist attack in Paris.
“The perpetrator was flagged for radicalization. He spoke of terrorism on social networks,” Michel Thooris, a police officer and member of the Central Board of Le Pen’s National Front party wrote on the Facebook page of the the police labor union that he runs. If this information is verified, Thooris added, “the failure to detain a flagged radical was the reason for the death of at least one of our colleagues this evening. Intolerable.“
Police killed one man whom it said was armed shortly after the shooting, in which two other people were severely wounded. The alleged shooter was identified on ISIS-affiliated social media accounts as Abu Sayif al-Baljiki, 39, from Belgium, Le Figaro reported Friday.
Shortly after the attack, pundits said it would benefit Le Pen in the elections, whose first round in scheduled to take place Sunday.
Le Pen also took to Twitter following the attack to criticize the government.
“From this weak government of inaction I demand the immediate restoration of our national borders.” she wrote, later adding, “I demand the immediate explosion of foreigners flagged for radicalization.”
This article has been sent!Close