Joshua Horowitz, left, bought the East Side Kosher Deli in February 2015 from Michael and Marcy Schreiber, who had owned it for 17 years. Photograph by Uriel Heilman.
With pastrami from Katz’s, a pickle from Pickle Guys and a bialy from Kossar’s, this twist on the cubano is a reflection of its Lower East Side roots. Photograph courtesy of The Comfort.
The meal on offer includes a traditional Yemenite beef soup called marak basar Teimani (top left), and kubaneh, a yeast-risen bread (on the square plate). Photographs by Adeena Sussman.
Hain Celestial Group, a leading distributor of organic foods, has purchased Empire Kosher Poultry, the biggest kosher poultry producer in the United States. Kosher Today reports that Hain already owned 20 percent of Empire’s parent corporation, EK Holdings, so the $57.5 million deal gives Hain the remaining 80 percent.