Hasidic Man Denies N.Y. Purim Arson Attack

A 22-year-old resident of a Chasidic enclave in New York pleaded not guilty to charges stemming from the Purim eve arson of a dissident neighbor’s car.

Aron Fromowitz of New Square pleaded not guilty Tuesday in Ramapo Town Court to setting fire to a car belonging to Aaron Rottenberg, whose house was set alight in May 2011 by Shaul Spitzer, reportedly because Rottenberg refused to pray in the main village synagogue presided over by Rabbi David Twersky, the rebbe of the Skverer Chasidic sect. Both Fromowitz and Spitzer reportedly worked for the rebbe.

Fromowitz, who turned himself in Tuesday, posted bail and was ordered to stay away from Rottenberg’s home. The case will be moved to New Square Village Court, according to the Journal News. Fromowitz could be sentenced to up to 15 years in prison for the arson charge.

Rottenberg reportedly told police he did not believe the two arsons are related. He said after last year’s attack that he and his family had been harassed at the rebbe’s direction.

Author

Your Comments

The Forward welcomes reader comments in order to promote thoughtful discussion on issues of importance to the Jewish community. All readers can browse the comments, and all Forward subscribers can add to the conversation. In the interest of maintaining a civil forum, The Forward requires that all commenters be appropriately respectful toward our writers, other commenters and the subjects of the articles. Vigorous debate and reasoned critique are welcome; name-calling and personal invective are not and will be deleted. Egregious commenters or repeat offenders will be banned from commenting. While we generally do not seek to edit or actively moderate comments, our spam filter prevents most links and certain key words from being posted and the Forward reserves the right to remove comments for any reason.

Recommend this article

Hasidic Man Denies N.Y. Purim Arson Attack

Thank you!

This article has been sent!

Close