Newsman Reports Bogus Disney Abduction Story

An Israeli reporter was suspended after reporting on an unfounded story that an Israeli girl was briefly abducted at Disney World in Orlando.

Sivan Cohen of Israel’s Channel 10 reported during Sunday’s news broadcast that the incident that she said “sounds like an urban legend” occurred over Passover. She reported that a 9-year-old Israeli girl was taken from her parents and was later found using security camera tapes in a bathroom stall drugged and with her head shaved.

On Monday night the station confirmed on the evening news that the story was false and that the reporter had been “mislead” by a source, one of the allegedly abducted girl’s parents. The story was not confirmed by Disney.

The hoax reportedly is well-known in the United States.

“Cohen has been suspended until the examination into the circumstances that led to the story airing is concluded,” the channel said in a statement.

Author

Your Comments

The Forward welcomes reader comments in order to promote thoughtful discussion on issues of importance to the Jewish community. All readers can browse the comments, and all Forward subscribers can add to the conversation. In the interest of maintaining a civil forum, The Forward requires that all commenters be appropriately respectful toward our writers, other commenters and the subjects of the articles. Vigorous debate and reasoned critique are welcome; name-calling and personal invective are not and will be deleted. Egregious commenters or repeat offenders will be banned from commenting. While we generally do not seek to edit or actively moderate comments, our spam filter prevents most links and certain key words from being posted and the Forward reserves the right to remove comments for any reason.

Recommend this article

Newsman Reports Bogus Disney Abduction Story

Thank you!

This article has been sent!

Close