Serbian police suspect three minors are responsible for the desecration of 39 Jewish graves in the northern city of Subotica.
The three youths are suspected of smashing 39 headstones on July 10 in the city’s Jewish cemetery, which is situated near the border with Hungary, the news site Subotica.com reported last week.
The president of the Jewish Community in Subotica, Robert Sabados, told Serbian media that investigators conducted an investigation with the representatives of the district prosecution and the high court. He said the culprits left no signs or messages. A similar attack happened at the cemetery in 2009, according to Sabados.
Jews have lived in Subotica since the 18th century. In the Holocaust, Hungarian troops sent many of the city’s thousands of Jews to be murdered. In 2004, Subotica had a Jewish community numbering 220, according to Encyclopaedia Judaica.