3 More Australia Abuse Victims Come Forward as Scandal Spreads

Three more people have alleged they were victims of child sexual abuse in Melbourne as the scandal that has embroiled the Jewish community since 2011 continues to deepen.

The three Jews – who have not been named – claimed they were abused at children’s homes run by a Jewish welfare organization in the 1960s.

Jewish Care Victoria – the major Jewish welfare organization in Melbourne – responded this week by establishing an independent inquiry to investigate the allegations.

Its president, Mike Debinski, said Jewish Care Victoria had a moral responsibility even though the organizations where the children were housed no longer existed.

“It is simply the right thing to do,” Debinski said in a statement. “We do not seek to sweep this issue under the carpet.”

Jewish Care has reported the allegations to police, he added.

Professor Louis Waller, a respected Jewish legal academic, had been appointed to head the inquiry, Debinski said.

“Our primary concern is for the welfare of anyone who may have experienced abuse,” he said. “We will investigate all claims and are offering services such as counseling, case management and support.”

The news comes as police in Sydney claimed that victims of sexual abuse may have been paid hush money to stay silent.

A report in Thursday’s Australian Jewish News quoted Ana Loughman, who is leading the investigation into child sexual abuse, saying: “We have information that people who may have been victimized may have entered into agreements for payment with other people not to disclose, report or come forward.”

Jewish Care Victoria is the latest organization to become embroiled in the scandal, following Chabad in Sydney and Melbourne, Adass Israel in Melbourne and Maccabi Victoria.

Author

Your Comments

The Forward welcomes reader comments in order to promote thoughtful discussion on issues of importance to the Jewish community. All readers can browse the comments, and all Forward subscribers can add to the conversation. In the interest of maintaining a civil forum, The Forward requires that all commenters be appropriately respectful toward our writers, other commenters and the subjects of the articles. Vigorous debate and reasoned critique are welcome; name-calling and personal invective are not and will be deleted. Egregious commenters or repeat offenders will be banned from commenting. While we generally do not seek to edit or actively moderate comments, our spam filter prevents most links and certain key words from being posted and the Forward reserves the right to remove comments for any reason.

Recommend this article

3 More Australia Abuse Victims Come Forward as Scandal Spreads

Thank you!

This article has been sent!

Close