Far Right Concert Falls Flat in Milan

A far-right rally and concert went ahead in Milan despite protests by the Milan Jewish community and other groups.

But reports said the event Saturday drew far fewer people than anticipated. No incidents were reported.

The Italian media said about 300 skinheads and other far-right militants attended Hammerfest 2014, held in a privately owned outbuilding in an outlying district of Milan. According to reports before the event, some 1,000 had been expected.

The Italian news agency Ansa said many of the crowd had “shaven heads, swastikas, and all the repertoire of the ‘Nazi look.’”

The Milan Jewish community had joined other organizations that called on authorities to bar the concert, and Milan’s mayor also criticized it as “unacceptable.” A similar concert was held in 2013.

Author

Your Comments

The Forward welcomes reader comments in order to promote thoughtful discussion on issues of importance to the Jewish community. All readers can browse the comments, and all Forward subscribers can add to the conversation. In the interest of maintaining a civil forum, The Forward requires that all commenters be appropriately respectful toward our writers, other commenters and the subjects of the articles. Vigorous debate and reasoned critique are welcome; name-calling and personal invective are not and will be deleted. Egregious commenters or repeat offenders will be banned from commenting. While we generally do not seek to edit or actively moderate comments, our spam filter prevents most links and certain key words from being posted and the Forward reserves the right to remove comments for any reason.

Recommend this article

Far Right Concert Falls Flat in Milan

Thank you!

This article has been sent!

Close