Director of Marketing and Audience Development
The Forward is looking for a Director of Marketing and Audience Development to grow and lead a brand development team that addresses all marketing-related strategy, messaging, creative, operations, and analytic tasks and initiatives, in support of advertising, digital audience development, fundraising, and circulation.
Reporting directly to the Publisher, the Director of Marketing and Audience Development is an inspiring leader with strong digital chops, whose passion for the Forward’s brand translates to strategies and tactics that increase industry and audience awareness for the Forward’s digital and print properties; drive multi-platform advertising sales, major gifts and grants; and maximize revenue from subscriptions and memberships.
Founded in 1897 as a Yiddish-language daily, the Forward became the world’s most widely read Jewish newspaper. The English Forward was launched in 1990. Its perspective on world and national news, and its unparalleled coverage of Jewish arts, culture, and opinion, have made it the most influential nationwide Jewish media outlet today. Always independent and nonprofit, the Forward became a 501(c)(3) just a few years ago, reflecting and facilitating the increasingly central role of donations to support its ambitious journalistic mission.
- Serve as a proactive thought leader: looking at cutting-edge marketing/branding trends and innovations; envisioning how these can be effectively leveraged at the Forward; and spreading these ideas throughout the organization.
- Leverage this critical moment — our 120th year — to create campaigns that help raise awareness, drive giving and advertising, and win new audience.
- Engage with editorial and advertising colleagues to develop, test and launch new “vertical” content products – such as e-newsletters, special sections, and events – that will enlarge our audience, increase their engagement and create new advertising opportunities.
- Develop and execute a cross-platform branding and audience development plan that describes and prioritizes marketing, public/media relations and operational initiatives to optimize the Forward’s distribution and sales, increase print and online audiences, and improve subscriber acquisition and renewal efforts.
- Draft the annual marketing plan and manage spending according to the departmental budget.
- Develop and leverage a deep understanding of the Forward’s audience demographics, psychographics and behavior patterns, the Forward’s online and print editorial products, trends in the Forward’s competitive space, and insight on advertiser needs, to create effective ad sales stories. Direct design and delivery of all messaging, media kit, presentations and proposals, RFP responses, sell sheets and other creative executions.
- Stay abreast of industry best practices and monitor competitive media to inform and lead senior management consideration of pricing, product, promotion and distribution.
- Initiate and manage market research, from readership surveys to discrete category research projects that support the sales effort.
- Manage public and media relations activities to maximize the visibility of the Forward, its editorial content and its leadership as a key element of broader audience development activity.
- Conceive, manage, test, and optimize online marketing, event-based, direct mail, telemarketing, and affinity marketing campaigns designed to grow donor/membership, online readership and print circulation, and to increase penetration into key audience segments.
- Work with the editorial departments to effectively use social media and SEO to deepen the Forward’s relationship with various audience segments.
- Work with distributor(s) and point-of-sale partners to improve the Forward’s placement.
- Identify, execute upon, test, and optimize the full range of renewal-increasing opportunities.
- Oversee management of all Forward public, advertiser and donor events.
- In partnership with the Vice President of Sales, develop and implement:
An effective process to develop and create collateral materials to support an aggressive sales effort to develop a broader base of advertisers for digital and print products.
Innovative packaging and positioning programs to drive multimedia sales.
- In partnership with the Director of Development, create a segmented communications plan and messaging for donor acquisition and retention.
- Report regularly on departmental financial results
- Work with the circulation department to ensure legal compliance and timely, cost-effective delivery of the English and Yiddish print editions.
The Director of Marketing and Audience Development must have:
- Creativity and drive
- A proven track record of building audience and revenues for a media company
- Experience with digital advertising and audience development methods (e.g., social media, SEO, etc) and strong experience with best practices.
- Outstanding project management and analytical skills, including use of metrics to guide projects/decisions.
- Financial management skills, to include budgeting and forecasting.
- The ability to write effective marketing copy for online and offline environments.
- The proven ability to hire and manage a successful marketing team.
- Proficiency in Microsoft, Adobe, and analytics software
To apply, please email email@example.com with “Director of Marketing” in the subject line.