2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup butter (or margarine for pareve)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 3/4 cups matzo cake meal
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup potato starch
1 cup mini chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 tablespoon cinnamon combined with 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream butter or margarine together with sugar until light and fluffy.
2) Add eggs one at a time and vanilla.
3) In a separate bowl, sift together cake meal, salt, and potato starch
4) Fold dry ingredients into egg mixture, until combined. Fold in chocolate chips and walnuts
5) On 2 parchment lined baking sheets, form mixture into 4 loaves (2 on each baking sheet) 2 inches wide (mixture will spread) using wet hands to prevent mixture from getting too sticky. Sprinkle the loaves with 1/3 of the cinnamon/sugar mixture.
6) Bake for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest for five minutes.
7) Carefully transport warm loaves, one at a time, to cutting board and slice on an angle into 1/2 inch thick slices.
8) Return slices to lined baking sheets and lay flat. Sprinkle slices with additional cinnamon sugar (My mom claims this step is why hers is the best). Return to oven and bake for additional 10 minutes.Allow to cool and serve.
Note: Can be made with all chocolate chips (2 cups) or all walnuts (2 cups) if desired.
Sandy Gertler's Mandel Bread