News

European Leaders Honor Prince Of Monaco For Holocaust Apology

MONACO (JTA) — A prestigious think tank on tolerance comprising former European leaders honored Prince Albert II of Monaco for his apology for his country’s treatment of Jews during the Holocaust, among other actions.

The European Council on Tolerance and Reconciliation on Tuesday bestowed its European Medal of Tolerance to the head of state of the principality sandwiched between France and Italy, who in 2015 acknowledged his country’s rounding up and deportation of 66 Jews in 1942.

“You have found the courage and political wisdom to openly address painful history and difficult memories,” said Moshe Kantor, the head of the European Jewish Congress and the president of the council, whose chair is former British Prime Minister Tony Blair.

Monaco’s asking of forgiveness for its police’s role in the murder of Jews during the Holocaust was a belated gesture, coming two decades after similar apologies by heads of state in France, Belgium, Italy and Austria. But because of the principality’s size and the small number of victims from its territory, Monaco’s political establishment was not under the external and internal pressure and scrutiny that preceded the apologies in those larger countries and others.

In a speech during the medal awarding ceremony at a conference hall at Monaco’s famed Casino Monte Carlo, Prince Albert II on Tuesday described his apology as a gesture rooted in the need to remain faithful to historical record on the Holocaust.

“Those words, asking forgiveness, were extremely difficult and not an obvious sentiment for me to express at the time,” Prince Albert II said during the ceremony.

The prince vowed to continue to work for the commemoration of the Holocaust “not only as head of state but simply as human being.”

News

8 Things To Know About Once And (Maybe) Future Trump Aide Sam Nunberg

‘Go to the mattresses,” a line from “The Godfather” about turning to mercenaries during times of war, has reportedly become a favorite refrain for those close to Donald Trump.

In that vein, the president, reeling from an escalating Russia investigation that has roped in some of his closest advisers, is considering bringing back several campaign aides. According to The Washington Post, one of the former Trump players “being courted to play [a] more active role” is Sam Nunberg.

Here are five facts to know about the New York native:

**1) He had a daylong meltdown on national TV.

Nunberg appeared on more than a half-dozen news shows March 5 spinning various (sometimes contradictory) versions of his claim that he would defy a subpoena from Russia probe special counsel Robert Mueller. After insisting he was ready to go to jail, he conceded that he had no good reason for not complying with the order — and might comply.

Lawyers said he has little choice but to cooperate — noting that he would almost certainly face contempt charges if he doesn’t.

**2) Nunberg’s bizarro day sparked an unlikely debate on journalistic ethics.

By the end of his roller-coaster ride, Nunberg was facing questions about his sobriety — and journalists were asking if the media was complicit in his apparent mental health issues by giving him a self-destructive platform. Erin Burnett asked Nunberg point blank if he had been drinking after saying on live television that she smelled booze on his breath.

He denied drinking but admitted talking prescription medication. “Is that OK?” he asked.

**3) He went to Ramaz.

The 37-year-old attended the elite Manhattan Modern Orthodox school. He later attended McGill University and worked on Republican campaigns.

4) He was one of Trump’s first political consultants.

Nunberg assisted the real estate magnate during his 2011 speech at the Conservative Political Action Conference, a large annual gathering of right-wing activists. As CNN put it, the speech “marked the start of Trump’s serious and aggressive foray” into Republican politics.

5) Trump has already hired and fired him… three separate times.

Nunberg and Trump have what could generously be described as an on-again, off-again relationship. The first time Trump fired Nunberg, it was over an unfavorable BuzzFeed profile.

6) The last time Nunberg was fired, it was for a series of racist Facebook posts.

In one of them, he referred to Rev. Al Sharpton’s daughter as a “N- - -.” Nunberg has since apologized to Sharpton.

7) Trump sued Nunberg for $10 million.

The GOP candidate alleged that his ex-staffer breached a confidentiality agreement. The lawsuit was “amicably” settled.

8) Since then, Nunberg has earned a reputation as a “reporter whisperer.”

Nunberg’s full-time job seems to be talking to the press about Trump. In May alone, his name has popped up in articles by The Washington Post, Politico, HuffPost, The Hill, NY Magazine, GQ and more, usually helping to explain Trump’s thoughts or work process.

News

Was Sam Nunberg Drunk On National Television?

Sam Nunberg, a former aide to Donald Trump, went on multiple news shows yesterday to rail against Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation, praise Roger Stone and inexplicably insinuate that Trump did something “wrong” with Russia during the campaign.

Shortly after his media Blitz, the Daily Beast reported a possible reason why Nunberg would put himself in such stark legal jeopardy: he had been drinking.

Three close associates of Nunberg say they spoke to him “minutes” before he first called in to MSNBC to air his dirty laundry. In the conversations he reportedly expressed that he was not going to participate in Mueller’s investigation as previously reported. The friends said they feared that he was “drinking again,” and on the verge of a personal meltdown.

Nunberg did not respond to multiple requests for comment from the Daily Beast.

“I think it would be funny if they arrested me,” Nunberg said to MSNBC’s Katy Tur. “What do you think Mueller is gonna do to me?”

“Donald Trump is an idiot,” Nunberg later told Jake Tapper on CNN.

Then, when speaking to Erin Burnett on CNN, Burnett told Nunberg she smelled alcohol on his breath. Nunberg denied having been drinking, saying that he had simply taken antidepressants.

Contact Ari Feldman at feldman@forward.com or on Twitter @aefeldman

News

Neo-Nazis Clash With Protesters At Richard Spencer MSU Appearance

Richard Spencer’s appearance at Michigan State University led to a series of violent confrontation between his neo-Nazi supporters, protesters and riot police stationed at the event, the Washington Post reported.

Ahead of his speech, neo-Nazis and white supremacists marched outside the school, and volleys of insults and slurs against minority groups turned into violent assaults on protesters. Law enforcement lined the road to the venue where Spencer was to speak, detaining multiple supporters and protesters with zip ties.

Most of Spencer’s supporters were blocked from entering the MSU venue. (MSU is currently on spring break.) A reporter inside the speech reported seeing less than 50 people in attendance.

“What happened outside was really worrisome and heinous,” Spencer said. “That was an attempt to use violence to prevent people from attending a speech that was peaceful.”

Contact Ari Feldman at feldman@forward.com or on Twitter @aefeldman

News

Did Michael Cohen Want Trump To Repay Him For Stormy Daniels Hush Money?

The bank used by President Trump’s lawyer, Michael Cohen, to wire $130,000 to adult film actress Stephanie Clifford, known professionally as Stormy Daniels, has reported the suspicious payment to the Treasury Department.

Cohen wired the money on October 27, 2016, 12 days before the presidential election, from a First Republic Bank account.

The payment to Clifford was in return for her signing an agreement that she would not discuss any details of an alleged sexual encounter with Trump in 2006.

In January, campaign finance group Common Cause filed a complaint, announcing that Cohen’s payment violated election law because the money “was unreported in-kind contribution to Donald J. Trump for President, Inc.”

Cohen has claimed the cash was his own way to help Trump by making Daniels’ “false” claim disappear. The Wall Street Journal also reported that friends said Cohen complained about not being reimbursed for the six-figure payoff, undercutting his own claim.

The lawyer’s response to the Wall Street Journal’s request for comment? “Fake News.”

Contact Haley Cohen at hcohen@forward.com