Prunes make a welcome addition to charoset. Photo courtesy Wikimedia Commons.
Matzo isn’t called “the bread of our affliction” for nothing. This charoset recipe will help mitigate any misery it may cause.
½ cup each of prunes, dates, currants and apricots
1 cup orange juice
1 cup port, Manischewitz or other sweet red wine
¼ cup each of walnuts, pistachios and pecans
Zest of 1 lemon
1) Combine the dried fruits, orange juice and wine.
2) Simmer over low heat for about 45 minutes, until fruits are soft and liquid has reduced. Add more liquid as needed. Allow to cool, about 20 minutes.
3) In a food processor or by hand, chop combined nuts until they are coarsely chopped. Set aside.
4) Puree the fruit mixture in a food processor until it makes a smooth paste.
5) Combine nuts and fruits in a bowl with the lemon zest. Serve with matzo and horseradish!