#T-138, overall score 38.5/100
One of the university’s oldest traditions is the Watermelon Drop, where the fruit is released by the winner of the Watermelon Queen pageant from the top of Urey Hall to see how far it splats.
Why should Jewish students attend USCD? UC San Diego is an exceptional university by any standard, set apart as one of the best public universities in the country and one of the top research institutions in the world. Situated in the picturesque neighborhood of La Jolla, UC San Diego is pivotal to developments in science, technology, the arts and medicine. It has a vibrant history of social justice and academic rigor, and is at the forefront of academic achievements across disciplines. Jewish life is central to the student experience of UC San Diego, propelled forward by Hillel and Triton Jewish Leaders. — Rabbi David Singer, director, UC San Diego Hillel
ACADEMICS Score: 10/30
- Score: 10/30
- Acceptance rate: 36%
- Student/faculty ratio: 19:1
- Jewish Studies major: Yes
- Israel Studies major: No
- In-state tuition: $14,705
- Out-of-state tuition: $41,387
- Room & board costs: $12,477
- Average annual scholarship/grant package: $12,460
- Scholarship for Jewish students: Malcolm R. Stacey Memorial Scholarship
ISRAEL Score: 5/20
JEWISH LIFE Score: 20.17/40
- Score: 20.17/40
- Hillel: Hillel UC San Diego
- Chabad: Chabad ar UCSD
- OU-JLIC: None
- Meor: None
- Jewish fraternities: AEPi, ΣAM
- Jewish sororities: AEPhi
- Anti-Semitic incidents in 2016: 1
- Can you get kosher food on the school meal plan?: Yes
- Hillel Friday night services: 1
- Average Shabbat attendance – Hillel: 110
- Synagogues within 10 miles: 7 (2 Orthodox, 2 Conservative, 3 Reform)
- Eruv: Yes
- Most famous Jewish alumnus: Bruce Beutler
- Most unique/noteworthy Hillel club: Triton Jewish Leaders is at the center of Jewish life on campus. It is a platform on which students build radically inclusive community, fuel innovation and inspire positive change on campus.
- Where do Jewish students come from?: Jewish students come predominantly from California, with most from the Los Angeles or Bay areas.
- Kosher food details: UC San Diego recently opened a kosher and halal dining hall on campus, called Ocean View Terrace. It is centrally located at Marshall College and has various parking lots nearby. However, most students walk around campus instead of drive. The largest grocery store near campus, Ralph’s, has a kosher section that sells kosher meat as well, so students who live off campus and make their own food have access to kosher ingredients. This grocery store is off of one of the central campus bus lines.