#T-79, overall score 52/100
Everything’s bigger in Texas: The Jester Center dorm building was the largest in North America when it was built, fitting 3,200 students. It is believed to host the highest-grossing Wendy’s franchise in the world.
Why should Jewish students attend the University of Texas at Austin? Texas Hillel is more than just a student organization. We are a community—-we are students, we are teachers, we are Jewish leaders, we are a coalition fighting for social justice, we are advocates, and more than this-—we are family. There are opportunities to have a free Shabbat meal each week, build a portfolio as a leader, volunteer in the greater Austin community, advocate for Israel, take classes and so much more. We cultivate micro-communities and invest in what students are passionate about, helping them to connect those passions to their Jewish identity. Texas Hillel strengthens the bonds of friendship and creates a community, a true family. We are Texas Hillel, and yes, we help create the future Jewish leaders of tomorrow -— and build and nurture a grand Jewish family within the university and around Austin. Welcome to Texas Hillel. Welcome to our family. — Margo Sack, Director of Jewish Student Life, Texas Hillel
ACADEMICS Score: 10/30
- Score: 10/30
- Acceptance rate: 40%
- Student/faculty ratio: 18:1
- Jewish Studies major: Yes
- Israel Studies major: No, but has Israel Studies center
- In-state tuition: $9,806
- Out-of-state tuition: $34,676
- Room & board costs: $11,456
- Average annual scholarship/grant package: $9,644
ISRAEL Score: 10.17/20
JEWISH LIFE Score: 25.17/40
- Score: 25.17/40
- Hillel: Texas Hillel
- Chabad: Chabad Jewish Student Center
- OU-JLIC: None
- Meor: None
- Jewish fraternities: AEPi, ΣAM, ZBT
- Jewish sororities: AEPhi, SDT
- Anti-Semitic incidents in 2016: 0
- Can you get kosher food on the school meal plan? No
- Active Hillel clubs: 20
- Hillel Friday night services: 4
- Average Shabbat attendance – Hillel: 150
- Synagogues within 10 miles: 4 (1 Orthodox, 1 Conservative, 2 Reform)
- Eruv: No
- Most famous Jewish alumnus: Eli Wallach
- Most unique/noteworthy Hillel club: The White Rose Society is a human rights organization that honors the legacy of the original White Rose from Nazi Germany, using Holocaust remembrance as a framework to prevent genocides and human rights atrocities.
- Where do Jewish students come from? A majority of our students are from Texas, although we do have a large number from out-of-state.
- Kosher food details: Texas Hillel has a supervised kosher kitchen that provides weekly Shabbat dinners, holiday meals, plus frequent events with food. There is a kosher butcher and deli in the Austin Jewish community.