Dominique Strauss-Kahn Rape Case Falling Apart
Prosecutors reportedly believe the sexual assault case against Dominique Strauss-Kahn, the former director of the International Monetary Fund, has been severely compromised.
The prosecutors plan to tell a judge on Friday that the case has “problems,” the New York Times quoted law enforcement officials as saying.
It’s not clear what could ensue; the hearing had been scheduled to hear an appeal from Strauss-Kahn to ease his bail conditions.
The accuser, a housekeeper at New York’s Sofitel hotel, on May 14 accused Strauss-Kahn of having violently assaulted her when she entered his room. Since then, the Times quoted officials as saying, she has repeatedly lied about her alleged links to drug-dealers and money launderers.
The 32-year-old woman, who is from Guinea, also misled police about her immigrant status, the report said, and spoke with a jailed accused drug lord after the alleged assault about the benefits of pursuing charges against Strauss-Kahn.
A lawyer for the woman told the Times that the allegations do not undercut her accusations of sexual assault.
Lawyers for Strauss-Kahn, 62, do not deny there was sexual encounter.
Strauss-Kahn, who was forced to leave the IMF, had been considered a front-runner for the French presidency, the first Jew to hold such a position since World War II.