In the haystack of emails from then-Secretary of State Hillary Clinton that were dumped yesterday, one cryptic needle poked through. The subject line was simply “Gefilte fish” — and the entire body of the message held one mysterious question: “Where are we on this?”
and other news organizations quickly asked, “Where are we on what?”
Well, we have our own ideas. Perhaps the perpetual presidential candidate was following up after a high-level briefing on one of the following important topics:
1) Do I really have to eat this when I’m invited to a Seder?
2) Do they eat it in Iowa and/or New Hampshire?
3) Is it one word or two? Because I’m playing Words With Friends With Bibi — and I think he’s cheating.
4) I’m thinking “First Jewish President” has a nice ring to it.
5) For $100,000 Bill could give a speech on it.
6) I don’t know. Let’s ask Sidney Blumenthal.
Liza Schoenfein is food editor of the Forward. Amy Atkins Sawyer is a bicoastal print and video journalist.