Skip To Content
JEWISH. INDEPENDENT. NONPROFIT.
Community

Prepent Day 5: The Pastor who Risked His Life for Love

Thursday 9/8/16

Elul 5 5776

Dear Rev. Jide Rebirth Macaulay,

My brother – have I told you yet you are my hero?

When we first met in a room full of LGBTIQ faith leaders at a global interfaith conference exploring our common cause and concern for more human rights and dignity, I didn’t quite know what to make of you: Big diva with big rasta hair and big confident smile – yet something seemed broken.

Only when I heard your story a few nights later, over drinks, I got to go beyond my own biases and see a glimpse of who and what you are: How you built the House of Rainbow and then had to flee Nigeria for your life, how much sorrow and despair you’ve witnessed among family and friends who turned their backs on your and your mission. I understood the sadness behind the smile.

You are my hero because you’ve taught me how to stand up for your rights, for our rights, for the love of all that’s sacred, with rage and humor and fierceness that I need, we need, as so many all round us are choosing to focus on what divides us instead of what unites. You are my hero because you risked your life for love on multiple occasions, including just a few weeks ago in Uganda.

What cause would I risk my life for, I wonder.

On this day, the fifth of 40 days on the journey to alignment we sit together once again at a similar gathering, along with queer clergy, activists and politicians from all over the world, asking big questions about the global need for one simple shared truth: We are all part of the same rainbow, equally valued and responsible for the sacred spark within us all. I’m proud to be here by your side and grateful for your leadership and friendship. In my tradition we take advantage of these 40 holy days to make sure we leave no stone unturned in our quest for gratitude, honest reflection, and love of self and others.

Be safe, proud, fabulous and fearless.

Love,

Amichai

PREPENT: Rabbi Amichai Lau-Lavie’s annual journey to the new year, with 40 ways in 40 days to reflect, refocus, recharge and restart life. This year features daily love letters inspired by Lab/Shul’s theme for the High Holy Days, “וְאָהַבְתָּ re:love.”

Subscribe to Lab/Shul’s mailing list to receive this free daily blog in your inbox by checking “Prepent” as a special interest, share them on Facebook or Twitter, or read it online at the Forward.

Republish This Story

Please read before republishing

We’re happy to make this story available to republish for free, unless it originated with JTA, Haaretz or another publication (as indicated on the article) and as long as you follow our guidelines. You must credit the Forward, retain our pixel and preserve our canonical link in Google search.  See our full guidelines for more information, and this guide for detail about canonical URLs.

To republish, copy the HTML by clicking on the yellow button to the right; it includes our tracking pixel, all paragraph styles and hyperlinks, the author byline and credit to the Forward. It does not include images; to avoid copyright violations, you must add them manually, following our guidelines. Please email us at [email protected], subject line “republish,” with any questions or to let us know what stories you’re picking up.

We don't support Internet Explorer

Please use Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or Edge to view this site.