Skip To Content
JEWISH. INDEPENDENT. NONPROFIT.
Community

My Synagogue Turned Against Me For Supporting J Street

We have read and seen much recently about the way our society has been divided into warring tribes unwilling to hear each other. This was brought home to me recently and very painfully by an incident within my own tribe — indeed within my own intimate spiritual community.

When my wife Shulamit and I arrived in Washington 29 years ago, we joined a conservative synagogue in Potomac, Maryland. Over the years, we have taken a very active part in the growth of our community; we contributed as generously as we could and celebrated our sons’ bar mitzvahs there with great joy. Both of us became regular Torah readers. We are considered to be part of the relative small core group of regular service attendees.

We are also passionate supporters of Israel. We both made Aliyah in our twenties, became citizens and lived there for several years. I served in the Israel Defense Forces. We are fluent in Hebrew and visit our many family members and friends at least once a year, often more.

In 2012, I joined the staff of J Street, an organization that shares my passion for Israel and builds support for a two-state peace agreement with the Palestinians which we regard as the only just way to end the conflict while preserving Israel’s identity as a democracy and a homeland for the Jewish people. This has been a bipartisan stance shared by Republican and Democratic administrations. It remains, in name at least, the formal policy still espoused by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

J Street has supported every single Israel aid package, military and civilian, that has been submitted to Congress during the 10 years of its existence. It opposes boycotts, divestment and sanctions (BDS).

Yet J Street, from the moment of its inception, was subjected to a vicious and unrelenting campaign of demonization and disinformation from the political right of the American-Jewish community fueled by half-truths and outright lies. We were said to be anti-Israel, even pro-Hamas; the current US ambassador to Israel, David Friedman, described us as “worse than kapos.” At best, are seen by the establishment as naïve dupes who may think we love Israel but whose actions divide and weaken the community.

What is the source of this hatred? After all, there are many other pro-peace groups on the political left and even far to the left of us, who do not attract such rage? I believe it is because from the start, J Street saw its mission not just to speak but to politically mobilize and organize the progressive, pro-peace forces in our community by building political influence. In that sense, we mimic AIPAC. And the results have been staggering. Every election cycle, we increase the number of congressional candidates and office holders who seek our endorsement. In 2016, we endorsed 124 Senate and House candidates. This year, that number will be over 130.

The campaign against J Street has certainly taken a toll. I continually meet members of the community who, after they hear me speak, tell me they had no idea that J Street holds the pro-Israel, pro-peace positions that it does. In some places, there is still a climate of fear surrounding J Street. In my own synagogue, people come up to me and tell me privately, sometimes whispering in my ear at the Kiddush after services, that they support J Street — as if saying so publicly could expose them to attack, or shame or lose them friends.

My synagogue has always been a staunch outpost of the America Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC). Its lay leadership and clergy enthusiastically recruit members to attend the annual AIPAC conference, verbally and in synagogue publications. The synagogue’s pro-AIPAC stance never bothered me. I always assumed there was room for many different ways of supporting Israel.

So I was not expecting controversy when I asked last year to have leaflets for the J Street National Conference to be placed on a table outside the sanctuary. I was not asking to promote the conference in the same way as the synagogue endorses, pushes and publicizes the AIPAC conference. I was merely asking to have information available for anyone who might be interested.

I was told that the Board of the synagogue discussed my request at length and voted unanimously not to allow the leaflets to be placed on the table because J Street had “taken positions that violated the synagogue’s mission statement to support Israel.”

This year, I again asked to have the leaflets left on the table — and this time I specifically requested to attend the Board meeting so that I could respond to questions. Both of these requests were summarily rejected. The synagogue leadership was not interested in hearing my words.

Now, my wife and I are grappling with an awful dilemma. Do we leave the synagogue? Its leaders obviously regard our views as so threatening that even a leaflet would be seen as damaging. Should we stay in a community where we are so obviously unwanted? Do we jettison decades of memories, of friendships and our shared role in building this institution which we have loved — and always felt loved us back?

Last Shabbat, when Shulamit and I read the entire Torah and Haftarah portions, I felt an awful emptiness and sense of isolation. It’s a sad day when a synagogue whose name proclaims justice cannot tolerate the placing of a leaflet on a table. It is unbearably painful. It is also un-American and un-Jewish.

I hope you appreciated this article. Before you go, I’d like to ask you to please support the Forward’s award-winning journalism this Passover.

In this age of misinformation, our work is needed like never before. We report on the news that matters most to American Jews, driven by truth, not ideology.

At a time when newsrooms are closing or cutting back, the Forward has removed its paywall. That means for the first time in our 126-year history, Forward journalism is free to everyone, everywhere. With an ongoing war, rising antisemitism, and a flood of disinformation that may affect the upcoming election, we believe that free and open access to Jewish journalism is imperative.

Readers like you make it all possible. Right now, we’re in the middle of our Passover Pledge Drive and we still need 300 people to step up and make a gift to sustain our trustworthy, independent journalism.

Make a gift of any size and become a Forward member today. You’ll support our mission to tell the American Jewish story fully and fairly. 

— Rachel Fishman Feddersen, Publisher and CEO

Join our mission to tell the Jewish story fully and fairly.

Only 300 more gifts needed by April 30

Republish This Story

Please read before republishing

We’re happy to make this story available to republish for free, unless it originated with JTA, Haaretz or another publication (as indicated on the article) and as long as you follow our guidelines. You must credit the Forward, retain our pixel and preserve our canonical link in Google search.  See our full guidelines for more information, and this guide for detail about canonical URLs.

To republish, copy the HTML by clicking on the yellow button to the right; it includes our tracking pixel, all paragraph styles and hyperlinks, the author byline and credit to the Forward. It does not include images; to avoid copyright violations, you must add them manually, following our guidelines. Please email us at [email protected], subject line “republish,” with any questions or to let us know what stories you’re picking up.

We don't support Internet Explorer

Please use Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or Edge to view this site.