Skip To Content
JEWISH. INDEPENDENT. NONPROFIT.
Community

This Hanukkah, we have to embrace both darkness and light

It has been one of most traumatic weeks in the history of our country. Celebrating and singing Hanukkah songs seems somewhat of a farce when ICUs are nearly full; mental health clinics overrun from those suffering with anxiety and suicidal ideation. This is the first time in which embracing the light has been difficult and even, misleading.

On the first night of Hanukkah, I found myself staring at the Hanukkiah. Instead of relishing in the idea that one light dispels the darkness, I found myself savoring the shadows. One small candle accompanied by seven empty, hollow spaces. Dark, cavernous, vacant spots. Even on the Hanukkiah, there is a symbolic acknowledgement that light does not always rid someone of the bitterness they hold. Rather, we live with both. Hold space for both. Honor both. The existence of hope and hunger living side by side.

My sister-in-law just began a job as a kidney transplant coordinator at St. Joseph’s in Orange County, California. She shared two stories about her start at the hospital. Each morning, the physicians and nurses huddle together, bow their heads, and offer a moment of silence to those that have died from COVID-19. And within that same huddle, in one unified voice, they scream together, “We will beat Covid!” Nitza also explained that daily, while she hears several code blues, she’s always startled when a lullaby is played over the loudspeaker, signifying the birth of a baby. The constant recognition of life within death. The honoring of both hardship and joy. Never pushing fear away. Validating grief and loss. Looking into someone’s eyes and knowing their story is shaped with jagged points of pain, depression, laughter, and love.

Towards the beginning of the pandemic, we explored the plagues during the story of Passover. The plague of darkness was supposedly so thick, it felt touchable. But Midrash explains that even through the darkness, the Egyptians could see the Israelites eating, drinking, basking in the light. Darkness becomes darker, when haunted by those that only hold light, unable to make room for anything else.

We are living in a time in which the world needs light. Perhaps more than ever. A vaccine administered this week reveals a miracle witnessed in our time. But we are also living within the throes of the harshest months of this pandemic. Our personal pangs of darkness must be seen. A darkness that cannot be ignored. Those experiencing darkness must not lose themselves because others can’t bear their existence.

And it is the Hanukkiah that teaches us how to acknowledge both the darkness and the light. Flickering candles enveloped by hollowed space.

Hanukkah: Sing with exultation. Cry with anguish. Pray that we all emerge out of this year, darkness sitting with light, cradling our pain, and holding our joy.

Rabbi Nicole Guzik is at Sinai Temple in Los Angeles.

I hope you appreciated this article. Before you go, I’d like to ask you to please support the Forward’s award-winning journalism this Passover.

In this age of misinformation, our work is needed like never before. We report on the news that matters most to American Jews, driven by truth, not ideology.

At a time when newsrooms are closing or cutting back, the Forward has removed its paywall. That means for the first time in our 126-year history, Forward journalism is free to everyone, everywhere. With an ongoing war, rising antisemitism, and a flood of disinformation that may affect the upcoming election, we believe that free and open access to Jewish journalism is imperative.

Readers like you make it all possible. Right now, we’re in the middle of our Passover Pledge Drive and we need 500 people to step up and make a gift to sustain our trustworthy, independent journalism.

Make a gift of any size and become a Forward member today. You’ll support our mission to tell the American Jewish story fully and fairly. 

— Rachel Fishman Feddersen, Publisher and CEO

Join our mission to tell the Jewish story fully and fairly.

Our Goal: 500 gifts during our Passover Pledge Drive!

Republish This Story

Please read before republishing

We’re happy to make this story available to republish for free, unless it originated with JTA, Haaretz or another publication (as indicated on the article) and as long as you follow our guidelines. You must credit the Forward, retain our pixel and preserve our canonical link in Google search.  See our full guidelines for more information, and this guide for detail about canonical URLs.

To republish, copy the HTML by clicking on the yellow button to the right; it includes our tracking pixel, all paragraph styles and hyperlinks, the author byline and credit to the Forward. It does not include images; to avoid copyright violations, you must add them manually, following our guidelines. Please email us at [email protected], subject line “republish,” with any questions or to let us know what stories you’re picking up.

We don't support Internet Explorer

Please use Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or Edge to view this site.