Skip To Content
JEWISH. INDEPENDENT. NONPROFIT.
Community

Yes, taking our hands off the wheel can lead to magical parenting

It has been said that “no other work transcends that of righteous, intentional parenting.” As caregivers, we have been guided to believe that we can — and we should — imbue our parenting actions and words with a sense of purpose, with a preferred outcome. Want our kids to love reading? Model sitting down with a book more than you do picking up your phone when they’re in the room. Wish our kids had more empathy? Engage with them less about how their actions might be right or wrong and more about how what they have done might make another person feel.

How empowered we are. We have the ability to truly mold our children as long as we remain conscious, shifting consistently into “intentional” mode. Every gesture, every comment can steer behavior and personality if we just put in the effort.

And while that is a practice worth practicing for the most part, it’s far from fool-proof. Intentions are often unclear. Co-parents don’t always share the same intentions. And kids aren’t always in the mood for even the best of intentions. Our son, Cielo, when faced with an underscoring of intention from his dads, has been known to say, “I don’t want to hear even a single noise” effectively blocking the lesson to be learned.

But more than all that, the overemphasis on intentional parenting discounts the epic sway of unintentional parenting. What do our kids take away from us when we are just being ourselves, free of a grown-up agenda? I recently learned, a lot…

Last month, my family and I moved from New York City to Boston. And instead of seeing NYPD vehicles and NYU trolleys from our apartment windows as we did on Third Avenue, we now get to see boats — lots and lots of boats: dinghies, tugboats, lifeboats, sailboats, speedboats, ferries, yachts, liners, etc. Cielo is, like any three year old, obsessed. In the first couple of weeks in our new home, he would stand in front of the living room window screaming, DADDYYY! PAPAAA! Come! You’re going to missss it! — with every passing boat. Marine radar had nothing on him.

One afternoon, between Zoom calls and Zoom calls, I looked up from my work to see a massive oil liner inching past our windows. I took a video, added the chorus to “My Heart Will Go On” as a soundtrack, and published it as a reel on my Instagram. “Today’s View,” I captioned the post. Later that day, when Cielo came home from school, I showed him the content, knowing he would get a kick out of seeing what was then the biggest boat that had come through thus far.

Explaining why the music, I told him there was once this very famous boat that sank a long time ago and they made a movie about it and that this was the song from the movie. In one ear out the other, I thought.

Neither rain nor snow keeps Cielo from ship seeking.

Neither rain nor snow keeps Cielo from ship seeking. Courtesy of Ariel Foxman

Far from it. Unexpectedly — and unintentionally — I had triggered deep, deep interest somewhere in Cielo’s being. He began asking questions, lots of questions, about the “famous boat.” Why did it sink? Do other boats sink? Was that trash in the water he saw the other day part of the Titanic wreckage finally coming to the surface?

His curiosity about the ill-fated 1912 luxury liner has been and remains unquenchable: We have repeatedly watched National Geographic CGI videos about the sinking. We have sought out the best Titanic fan videos –- yes, it’s a thing for adults, too –- in which animators imagine all sort of fantasy sinkings, some during the daytime or some at sunset. We have regaled him with bedtime stories about the ship’s captain and of course, of Jack and Rose — who alternate between a real-life couple or a couple of stowaway mice, depending on Daddy and Papa’s mood. We have explored local snow drifts as if they were icebergs. And we have even played him Britney Spears’s “Oops, I Did It Again” because of its Titanic-themed interlude. (Cielo has rightfully been informed that the exchange he hears is actually a recording of the Jack talking to the Rose.)

I keep asking Cielo if he is asking about the famous boat because it frightens him or because he likes it. Likes it, 100% of the time. (After all, we have assured him that (1) new ships never sink and (2) everyone got out of the Titanic alive. Lies, comforting lies.)

Just yesterday, Cielo asked me if we could get him a toy Titanic. Would this be a short-lived toddler phase — see Paw Patrol, Thomas the Tank Engine, and other dabbling now in his mercurial wake — or would this spark a lifelong interest in ships, in engineering and/or in late-nineties Céline Dion? Time will only tell, for sure.

What I soon won’t forget however is how indelible the off-hand has been. While I am sure I will continue to intend to intend my way through parenting, I will also ease into the knowledge that we are all parenting all the time. And that perhaps some of the biggest impression we make on our kids is when we aren’t trying to do so at all. Near, far, and wherever you are …

Ariel Foxman is an award-winning editor, writer, and gay dad. This column is a part of his modern-parenting newsletter “ABBAPAPA”, which you can subscribe to on Substack.

I hope you appreciated this article. Before you go, I’d like to ask you to please support the Forward’s award-winning journalism this Passover.

In this age of misinformation, our work is needed like never before. We report on the news that matters most to American Jews, driven by truth, not ideology.

At a time when newsrooms are closing or cutting back, the Forward has removed its paywall. That means for the first time in our 126-year history, Forward journalism is free to everyone, everywhere. With an ongoing war, rising antisemitism, and a flood of disinformation that may affect the upcoming election, we believe that free and open access to Jewish journalism is imperative.

Readers like you make it all possible. Right now, we’re in the middle of our Passover Pledge Drive and we still need 300 people to step up and make a gift to sustain our trustworthy, independent journalism.

Make a gift of any size and become a Forward member today. You’ll support our mission to tell the American Jewish story fully and fairly. 

— Rachel Fishman Feddersen, Publisher and CEO

Join our mission to tell the Jewish story fully and fairly.

Only 300 more gifts needed by April 30

Republish This Story

Please read before republishing

We’re happy to make this story available to republish for free, unless it originated with JTA, Haaretz or another publication (as indicated on the article) and as long as you follow our guidelines. You must credit the Forward, retain our pixel and preserve our canonical link in Google search.  See our full guidelines for more information, and this guide for detail about canonical URLs.

To republish, copy the HTML by clicking on the yellow button to the right; it includes our tracking pixel, all paragraph styles and hyperlinks, the author byline and credit to the Forward. It does not include images; to avoid copyright violations, you must add them manually, following our guidelines. Please email us at [email protected], subject line “republish,” with any questions or to let us know what stories you’re picking up.

We don't support Internet Explorer

Please use Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or Edge to view this site.