Skip To Content
JEWISH. INDEPENDENT. NONPROFIT.
Fast Forward

Jewish Teen Cleared of Firebomb Attack Released to House Arrest

An Israeli court ordered the release of a Jewish terror suspect to house arrest.

The 18-year-old was one of six Jewish terror suspects who appeared Monday in Petach Tikvah Magistrates’ Court for a hearing on extending their remands. He has been exonerated of serious allegations, including the July firebombing of a home in the West Bank village of Duma that killed three members of one family.

The man was not named; Israel has imposed a gag order on the case.

Prosecutors said they would indict the man for an attack on an Arab teen two years ago near a West Bank outpost. He had been held in administrative detention, without charges, for 29 days. He was prevented from meeting with his attorney for 18 days.

The indictments of other suspects being held in administrative detention could be handed down this week, Israeli Defense Minister Moshe Yaalon said Saturday night. However, prosecutors did not file a declaration of intent to indict the suspects during Monday’s hearing.

Meanwhile, hundreds of demonstrators gathered outside the court to protest the alleged torture of the suspects during questioning.

The Forward is free to read, but it isn’t free to produce

I hope you appreciated this article. Before you go, I’d like to ask you to please support the Forward.

At a time when other newsrooms are closing or cutting back, the Forward has removed its paywall and invested additional resources to report on the ground from Israel and around the U.S. on the impact of the war, rising antisemitism and polarized discourse.

Readers like you make it all possible. We’ve started our Passover Fundraising Drive, and we need 1,800 readers like you to step up to support the Forward by April 21. Members of the Forward board are even matching the first 1,000 gifts, up to $70,000.

This is a great time to support independent Jewish journalism, because every dollar goes twice as far.

—  Rachel Fishman Feddersen, Publisher and CEO

2X match on all Passover gifts!

Republish This Story

Please read before republishing

We’re happy to make this story available to republish for free, unless it originated with JTA, Haaretz or another publication (as indicated on the article) and as long as you follow our guidelines.
You must comply with the following:

  • Credit the Forward
  • Retain our pixel
  • Preserve our canonical link in Google search
  • Add a noindex tag in Google search

See our full guidelines for more information, and this guide for detail about canonical URLs.

To republish, copy the HTML by clicking on the yellow button to the right; it includes our tracking pixel, all paragraph styles and hyperlinks, the author byline and credit to the Forward. It does not include images; to avoid copyright violations, you must add them manually, following our guidelines. Please email us at [email protected], subject line “republish,” with any questions or to let us know what stories you’re picking up.

We don't support Internet Explorer

Please use Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or Edge to view this site.