Biden: Israel ‘has not done enough’ to protect aid workers or civilians in Gaza
Biden’s comments in response to the killing of World Central Kitchen workers were his sharpest official rebuke of Israel so far in the Gaza war

President Joe Biden speaks during a meeting with his Competition Council in the State Dining Room of the White House, March 5, 2024. (Nathan Howard/Getty Images)
WASHINGTON (JTA) — President Joe Biden said he was “outraged and heartbroken” by an Israeli strike that killed seven hunger relief workers and said Israel was not doing enough to protect aid workers and other civilians, in his sharpest official rebuke of Israel so far in the Gaza war.
Biden’s statement late Tuesday came as Israel scrambled to deal with the fallout of the killing Monday of seven workers with World Central Kitchen. Israel has acknowledged responsibility for the strike, has launched an investigation and has already made changes to how it coordinates with aid agencies.
Israel made the changes and apologies before Biden released his statement, but the president nonetheless did not hold back in criticizing the Israeli government and army.
“This is not a stand-alone incident,” the statement said, referring to the nearly 200 employees of humanitarian agencies who have been killed in Gaza since Hamas launched the war with an attack on Israel on Oct. 7.
“This conflict has been one of the worst in recent memory in terms of how many aid workers have been killed,” Biden said. “This is a major reason why distributing humanitarian aid in Gaza has been so difficult – because Israel has not done enough to protect aid workers trying to deliver desperately needed help to civilians. Incidents like yesterday’s simply should not happen. Israel has also not done enough to protect civilians.”
In informal exchanges with reporters, Biden criticized Israel’s conduct of the war, at one point saying its bombing was “over the top.” But the anguish and anger he expressed on Tuesday was notable because it came in a formal statement.
Biden has backed Israel from the outset of the war, when Hamas terrorists massacred more than 1,200 people and abducted more than 250. But more recently, he has openly criticized Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s direction of the war, particularly his plans to launch a massive operation in Rafah, the city on the Gaza-Egypt border where more than 1 million Palestinians have taken refuge, many at Israel’s behest.
Netanyahu says four Hamas battalions remain in Rafah and that the war will not be over until the terrorist group is dismantled.
The Biden administration has pressed Israel to facilitate the entry of humanitarian assistance into the Gaza Strip. Israel has blamed the obstruction of assistance on Hamas.
More than 32,000 Palestinians have been killed since Israel launched counterstrikes on Oct. 8, including what Gaza’s Hamas-run health ministry says are hundreds of women and children. Israel has said that about a third are combatants.
This article originally appeared on JTA.org.
The Forward is free to read, but it isn’t free to produce

I hope you appreciated this article. Before you go, I’d like to ask you to please support the Forward.
At a time when other newsrooms are closing or cutting back, the Forward has removed its paywall and invested additional resources to report on the ground from Israel and around the U.S. on the impact of the war, rising antisemitism and polarized discourse.
Readers like you make it all possible. We’ve started our Passover Fundraising Drive, and we need 1,800 readers like you to step up to support the Forward by April 21. Members of the Forward board are even matching the first 1,000 gifts, up to $70,000.
This is a great time to support independent Jewish journalism, because every dollar goes twice as far.
— Rachel Fishman Feddersen, Publisher and CEO
2X match on all Passover gifts!
Most Popular
- 1
News A Jewish Republican and Muslim Democrat are suddenly in a tight race for a special seat in Congress
- 2
Fast Forward The NCAA men’s Final Four has 3 Jewish coaches
- 3
Fast Forward Cory Booker proclaims, ‘Hineni’ — I am here — 19 hours into anti-Trump Senate speech
- 4
Film & TV What Gal Gadot has said about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict
In Case You Missed It
-
Opinion The ADL reversed its support for Trump’s student deportations. You should too
-
Fast Forward Senate rejects Bernie Sanders’ proposal to block some weapons sales to Israel
-
Fast Forward Sotheby’s to auction earliest known kiddush cup
-
Opinion Trump’s new tariffs on Israel are a BDS dream come true
-
Shop the Forward Store
100% of profits support our journalism
Republish This Story
Please read before republishing
We’re happy to make this story available to republish for free, unless it originated with JTA, Haaretz or another publication (as indicated on the article) and as long as you follow our guidelines.
You must comply with the following:
- Credit the Forward
- Retain our pixel
- Preserve our canonical link in Google search
- Add a noindex tag in Google search
See our full guidelines for more information, and this guide for detail about canonical URLs.
To republish, copy the HTML by clicking on the yellow button to the right; it includes our tracking pixel, all paragraph styles and hyperlinks, the author byline and credit to the Forward. It does not include images; to avoid copyright violations, you must add them manually, following our guidelines. Please email us at [email protected], subject line “republish,” with any questions or to let us know what stories you’re picking up.