FIFA is considering Palestinian request to bar Israel from international soccer competition
The governing body of international football is weighing a call issued by the Palestinian Football Association in March

Palestinian Football Association President Jibril Rajoub speaks during the 74th FIFA Congress, May 17, 2024, in Bangkok. (Manan Vatsyayana/AFP via Getty Images)
(JTA) — In July, Israel’s national soccer team returned to the Olympics for the first time in nearly 50 years. Now, the country is facing a potential ban from international competition in the world’s most popular sport.
FIFA, the global soccer governing body, is considering a request by the Palestinian Football Association (PFA) to temporarily bar the Israel Football Association (IFA) from future tournaments. The reason, as in Palestinian appeals to other international bodies, is the war in Gaza: Palestinian officials allege that Israel is committing violations of international law and running afoul of FIFA’s human rights policies.
The PFA submitted its official proposal in March, and a decision is now expected in October. FIFA has postponed the ruling multiple times, including days before the Olympics — a tournament in which the Palestinians also challenged Israel’s participation — and again ahead of its planned Aug. 31 announcement. FIFA sought independent legal review and solicited input from both the Israeli and Palestinian soccer federations.
“FIFA has received the independent legal assessment of the Palestine Football Association’s proposals against the Israel Football Association,” FIFA said in a statement on X. “This assessment will be sent to the FIFA Council to review in order that the subject can be discussed at its next meeting, which will take place in October.”
Israel has denied the accusations in the PFA’s claim, which IFA chief Moshe Zuares called a “cynical, political and hostile attempt by the Palestinian Association to harm Israeli football.”
Zuares said during remarks at FIFA’s annual congress in Bangkok in May, “Make no mistake, the IFA never violated rules set by FIFA and UEFA and will never do so in the future.”
Neither FIFA nor the IFA responded to Jewish Telegraphic Agency inquiries.
A ban would have an immediate effect on Israel’s national team, which is set to compete in the upcoming Nations League tournament organized by the Union of European Football Associations (UEFA), the European division of FIFA, of which Israel is a member. Israel plays its first tournament match against Belgium Sept. 6 in a game that has already been mired in controversy, as Belgium refused to host the match, citing security concerns. The game will instead be played in Debrecen, Hungary. The tournament’s initial phase extends into November, and the playoffs continue through June 2025, meaning Israel’s participation could be interrupted should it advance.
Depending on the duration of a possible ban, Israel could also be excluded from the qualifying tournament for the 2026 FIFA World Cup, which begins in March, and from other future European and global tournaments. Last summer, Israel finished third at the 2023 Under-20 World Cup and reached the semifinal in the UEFA European U-21 Championship.
Israel has belonged to UEFA since 1994, joining the European conference 20 years after it was kicked out of the Asian Football Confederation in a push spearheaded by its Arab neighbors. The Asian conference — along with soccer federations from Algeria, Jordan, Syria and Yemen — have all thrown their support behind the PFA’s effort to oust Israel.
“FIFA cannot afford to remain indifferent to these violations or to the ongoing genocide in Palestine, just as it did not remain indifferent to numerous precedents,” PFA President Jibril Rajoub said, according to Reuters.
Rajoub also said in May that 193 Palestinian soccer players had been killed in the Israel-Hamas war and pointed to other disruptions to Palestinian soccer as a result of the ongoing conflict.
In addition, Max du Plessis, an attorney who represented South Africa in its case accusing Israel of genocide at the International Court of Jucistice, co-wrote a legal analysis in support of a ban. The analysis argued, “Israel’s conduct demands censure, in line with the position adopted by FIFA in relation to similar egregious violations of its objectives and internationally recognised human rights.”
FIFA has a history of banning countries from competition for both geopolitical reasons and over interference or misconduct related specifically to soccer governance. Most notably, FIFA banned Russia from international competition just days after its 2022 invasion of Ukraine, and South Africa was banned for more than 20 years over its apartheid policies.
The PFA had also called for a vote to ban Israel from FIFA in 2015 over alleged discrimination against Palestinian players, but it ultimately dropped the bid.
“Like everyone, I was extremely, extremely shocked by what happened on Oct. 7 in Israel,” FIFA President Gianni Infantino said at the group’s convening in May. “And like anyone else, I was extremely, extremely shocked, and am extremely shocked at what’s happening in Gaza.”
Infantino added, “I pray for all those people who suffer the unimaginable … and I want, like all of you, just one thing: peace.”
The Forward is free to read, but it isn’t free to produce

I hope you appreciated this article. Before you go, I’d like to ask you to please support the Forward.
At a time when other newsrooms are closing or cutting back, the Forward has removed its paywall and invested additional resources to report on the ground from Israel and around the U.S. on the impact of the war, rising antisemitism and polarized discourse.
Readers like you make it all possible. We’ve started our Passover Fundraising Drive, and we need 1,800 readers like you to step up to support the Forward by April 21. Members of the Forward board are even matching the first 1,000 gifts, up to $70,000.
This is a great time to support independent Jewish journalism, because every dollar goes twice as far.
— Rachel Fishman Feddersen, Publisher and CEO
2X match on all Passover gifts!
Most Popular
- 1
News A Jewish Republican and Muslim Democrat are suddenly in a tight race for a special seat in Congress
- 2
Fast Forward The NCAA men’s Final Four has 3 Jewish coaches
- 3
Film & TV What Gal Gadot has said about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict
- 4
Fast Forward Cory Booker proclaims, ‘Hineni’ — I am here — 19 hours into anti-Trump Senate speech
In Case You Missed It
-
News Who would protect New York Jews better? Cuomo and Lander trade attacks on the campaign trail
-
News Rabbis revolt over LGBTQ+ club, exposing fight over queer acceptance at Yeshiva University
-
Opinion In Qatargate fiasco, Netanyahu’s ‘witch hunt’ narrative takes cues from Trump
-
Yiddish די הגדה ווי אַ לעבעדיקער דענקמאָל פֿון אַשכּנזישער פּאָעזיעThe Haggadah as a living monument to Ashkenazi poetry
אַמאָל זענען די פּייטנים, מיסטישע דיכטער־וויזיאָנערן, געווען אויבן־אָן בײַ די פֿראַנצויזישע און דײַטשישע ייִדן.
-
Shop the Forward Store
100% of profits support our journalism
Republish This Story
Please read before republishing
We’re happy to make this story available to republish for free, unless it originated with JTA, Haaretz or another publication (as indicated on the article) and as long as you follow our guidelines.
You must comply with the following:
- Credit the Forward
- Retain our pixel
- Preserve our canonical link in Google search
- Add a noindex tag in Google search
See our full guidelines for more information, and this guide for detail about canonical URLs.
To republish, copy the HTML by clicking on the yellow button to the right; it includes our tracking pixel, all paragraph styles and hyperlinks, the author byline and credit to the Forward. It does not include images; to avoid copyright violations, you must add them manually, following our guidelines. Please email us at [email protected], subject line “republish,” with any questions or to let us know what stories you’re picking up.