Skip To Content
JEWISH. INDEPENDENT. NONPROFIT.
Fast Forward

Benjamin Netanyahu to meet Donald Trump at the White House on Feb. 4

The visit will make the Israeli prime minister the first foreign leader to be invited to Trump’s residence since he took office last week

(JTA) — Benjamin Netanyahu says he will meet President Donald Trump at the White House next week, a date that would make the Israeli prime minister the first foreign leader to be invited to Trump’s residence since he retook office.

Netanyahu’s office announced the Feb. 4 visit on Tuesday. As of Tuesday afternoon, Trump does not appear to have posted about the visit on Truth Social, the social network he owns.

The meeting will come more than two weeks into the Israel-Hamas ceasefire Trump helped broker. Trump has sent mixed signals about whether he expects the ceasefire, whose latter stages have yet to be negotiated, to last. In recent days, he has also discussed efforts to encourage Arab states to take in Palestinians from Gaza.

Trump’s quick invitation draws a contrast with his predecessor, Joe Biden, who invited Netanyahu for a White House meeting more than six months after Netanyahu won the November 2022 Israeli election. That delay reflected significant tensions between Biden and Netanyahu at the time stemming from clashes over policy.

Netanyahu had a close relationship with Trump during the president’s first term, from 2017 to 2021, during which Trump moved the U.S. embassy to Jerusalem, withdrew from the Iran nuclear deal and brokered normalization deals between Israel and several Arab states.

Since his Jan. 20 inauguration, Trump has removed sanctions on extremist Israeli settlers and allowed the delivery of heavy bombs to Israel.

“Your first term as president was filled with groundbreaking moments in the history of the great alliance between our two countries,” Netanyahu said in a video celebrating Trump’s inauguration last week. “I believe that working together again, we will raise the U.S.-Israel alliance to even greater heights.”

The Forward is free to read, but it isn’t free to produce

I hope you appreciated this article. Before you go, I’d like to ask you to please support the Forward.

At a time when other newsrooms are closing or cutting back, the Forward has removed its paywall and invested additional resources to report on the ground from Israel and around the U.S. on the impact of the war, rising antisemitism and polarized discourse.

Readers like you make it all possible. We’ve started our Passover Fundraising Drive, and we need 1,800 readers like you to step up to support the Forward by April 21. Members of the Forward board are even matching the first 1,000 gifts, up to $70,000.

This is a great time to support independent Jewish journalism, because every dollar goes twice as far.

—  Rachel Fishman Feddersen, Publisher and CEO

2X match on all Passover gifts!

Republish This Story

Please read before republishing

We’re happy to make this story available to republish for free, unless it originated with JTA, Haaretz or another publication (as indicated on the article) and as long as you follow our guidelines.
You must comply with the following:

  • Credit the Forward
  • Retain our pixel
  • Preserve our canonical link in Google search
  • Add a noindex tag in Google search

See our full guidelines for more information, and this guide for detail about canonical URLs.

To republish, copy the HTML by clicking on the yellow button to the right; it includes our tracking pixel, all paragraph styles and hyperlinks, the author byline and credit to the Forward. It does not include images; to avoid copyright violations, you must add them manually, following our guidelines. Please email us at [email protected], subject line “republish,” with any questions or to let us know what stories you’re picking up.

We don't support Internet Explorer

Please use Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or Edge to view this site.