80 years after Auschwitz, kosher food will be sold in its town of Oświęcim
The Auschwitz Jewish Center is now selling packaged kosher food, in a move both practical and symbolic

The Auschwitz Jewish Center in Oswiecm, Poland receives about 1% of the 2.3 million visitors who come to the former death camp each year. (Courtesy of the Auschwitz Jewish Center)
(JTA) — Eighty years after Auschwitz was liberated from the Nazis, Jews who make a pilgrimage there can eat kosher food.
A mile from the concentration camp, visitors will be able to buy packaged, shelf-stable kosher meals for the first time at the Auschwitz Jewish Center — now a museum and the only surviving synagogue in Oświęcim, the Polish town renamed Auschwitz by the Nazis.
The kosher concession will open in time for Yom HaShoah, Israel’s Holocaust Remembrance Day, beginning on the night of April 23. The day is marked in Poland with the March of the Living, in which thousands of people march from Auschwitz to Birkenau. The Auschwitz Jewish Center will also add prayer services to its program ahead of the occasion.
This year, 80 Holocaust survivors will join the March of the Living, making it one of the largest gatherings of survivors at Auschwitz in recent history. The march also includes Jewish teens from around the world.
Before the Holocaust, Oświęcim was more than half Jewish, a small town with over 30 synagogues. Kosher butchers, bakeries and restaurants were commonplace. But this year, only one Jew is reported to live in Oświęcim — and she works at the Auschwitz Jewish Center. Hila Weisz-Gut, whose grandmother survived the camp, moved there in 2023 to join her Polish boyfriend. Many other members of her family were among the 1 million Jews killed at Auschwitz.
The Auschwitz Jewish Center has seen some 800,000 visitors since it was restored and reopened in 2000. That’s a small proportion of the people who go to Auschwitz, numbering well over a million a year. But the chairman of the Auschwitz Jewish Center Foundation said in a statement that the synagogue should be prepared to host observant Jews.
“Opening the city’s first post-war kosher concession was a natural step, ensuring that Kosher-observant visitors could pray or reflect in our synagogue while also enjoying a kosher meal,” said Simon Bergson.
Previously, kosher-keeping Jews who wanted to eat at Auschwitz have had to bring their own food or could arrange catering in advance. But the new availability of kosher food at the Auschwitz Jewish Center is not just a dietary accommodation for a core audience, according to Jack Simony, the director general of its foundation.
“This concession is more than just a place to eat – it symbolizes continuity, resilience, and hope for future generations,” he said in a statement.
The Forward is free to read, but it isn’t free to produce

I hope you appreciated this article. Before you go, I’d like to ask you to please support the Forward.
At a time when other newsrooms are closing or cutting back, the Forward has removed its paywall and invested additional resources to report on the ground from Israel and around the U.S. on the impact of the war, rising antisemitism and polarized discourse.
Readers like you make it all possible. We’ve started our Passover Fundraising Drive, and we need 1,800 readers like you to step up to support the Forward by April 21. Members of the Forward board are even matching the first 1,000 gifts, up to $70,000.
This is a great time to support independent Jewish journalism, because every dollar goes twice as far.
— Rachel Fishman Feddersen, Publisher and CEO
2X match on all Passover gifts!
Most Popular
- 1
News A Jewish Republican and Muslim Democrat are suddenly in a tight race for a special seat in Congress
- 2
Fast Forward The NCAA men’s Final Four has 3 Jewish coaches
- 3
Fast Forward Cory Booker proclaims, ‘Hineni’ — I am here — 19 hours into anti-Trump Senate speech
- 4
Film & TV What Gal Gadot has said about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict
In Case You Missed It
-
Opinion I co-wrote Biden’s antisemitism strategy. Trump is making the threat worse
-
Fast Forward From ‘October 8’ to ‘The Encampments,’ these new documentaries illuminate the post-Oct. 7 American experience
-
Fast Forward Jews at Tufts are furious over ICE seizing a pro-Palestinian grad student. But they’re wary of joining protests for her.
-
Film & TV How Marlene Dietrich saved me — or maybe my twin sister — and helped inspire me to become a lifelong activist
-
Shop the Forward Store
100% of profits support our journalism
Republish This Story
Please read before republishing
We’re happy to make this story available to republish for free, unless it originated with JTA, Haaretz or another publication (as indicated on the article) and as long as you follow our guidelines.
You must comply with the following:
- Credit the Forward
- Retain our pixel
- Preserve our canonical link in Google search
- Add a noindex tag in Google search
See our full guidelines for more information, and this guide for detail about canonical URLs.
To republish, copy the HTML by clicking on the yellow button to the right; it includes our tracking pixel, all paragraph styles and hyperlinks, the author byline and credit to the Forward. It does not include images; to avoid copyright violations, you must add them manually, following our guidelines. Please email us at [email protected], subject line “republish,” with any questions or to let us know what stories you’re picking up.