Israeli President Shimon Peres called Turkish President Abdullah Gul and offered his condolences following the 7.3 magnitude quake that struck southeastern Turkey earlier Sunday, that may have claimed the lives of up to 1,000 people.
“Speaking as a human being, a Jew and an Israeli who remembers and is aware of the depth of the historic relations between our two countries, I extend condolences on behalf of the entire (Israeli) people,” Peres said.
Peres added that “in this difficult hour, the State of Israel is ready to offer any assistance possible, anywhere in Turkey and at any time.”
The Turkish President thanked Peres and said the authorities are still trying to assess the damage done by the quake. He expressed his hopes that Turkish aid teams will not require outside assistance in rescue efforts.
Earlier on Sunday, Defense Minister Ehud Barak instructed the head of the Defense Ministry’s diplomatic-security bureau, Amos Gilad, to contact Turkish officials and offer them “any aid that they may need.”
Meanwhile, Foreign Ministry officials have also initiated contact with Ankara in order to estimate the extent of aid required, if at all.
Foreign Ministry spokesman Yigal Palmor indicated that, following orders by Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman, he had contacted Turkish authorities, saying “Israel’s embassy in Ankara had already issued the offer to Turkish officials.”
Israel Defense Forces Chief of Staff Benny Gantz instructed the IDF’s Home Front Command to prepare for the possible launching of a special delegation to the Turkish disaster zone.
Turkey’s Kandilli Observatory estimates that some 500 to 1,000 people were killed on Sunday, broadcaster CNN Turk reported.
For more, go to Haaretz.com