Skip To Content
JEWISH. INDEPENDENT. NONPROFIT.
Fast Forward

Maccabi Australia To Probe Abuse Scandal

Maccabi Australia will conduct an independent review of its handling of a child sex abuse scandal that resulted in a former basketball coach being jailed last month for eight years.

Shannon Francis was found guilty of several child sex abuse offenses between 1999 and 2000, including sexual penetration of a minor, while he was coaching a junior girls team for the largest Jewish organization in Australia with some 9,000 members across more than 50 clubs.

Maccabi officials have been under fire following allegations that at least one senior official had been warned about Francis at the time of the offenses.

Maccabi Australia’s board on Monday committed to an independent review, which will investigate events at the time of the offenses and also how Maccabi handled the scandal beginning when Francis was charged in 2011.

“The board’s commitment to an independent review was made on the back of listening to the victims who have expressed their concerns about the Maccabi organization’s internal processes and actions,” Maccabi President Lisa Borowick said in a statement.

“The board have approached respected members of the community who are independent of Maccabi to form the review panel,” she said.

It intends to produce its findings by November and issue a public statement afterwards.

Manny Waks, a spokesperson for the victims, welcomed the development.

“Due to the serious allegations by the victims and others regarding the mishandling of the case by senior Maccabi officials – both at the time of the abuse and more recently since Shannon Francis was charged – an independent, transparent and immediate review of the facts, as well as the provision of guidance on how to respond to similar cases in the future, is an appropriate response,” he said.

The Forward is free to read, but it isn’t free to produce

I hope you appreciated this article. Before you go, I’d like to ask you to please support the Forward.

At a time when other newsrooms are closing or cutting back, the Forward has removed its paywall and invested additional resources to report on the ground from Israel and around the U.S. on the impact of the war, rising antisemitism and polarized discourse.

Readers like you make it all possible. We’ve started our Passover Fundraising Drive, and we need 1,800 readers like you to step up to support the Forward by April 21. Members of the Forward board are even matching the first 1,000 gifts, up to $70,000.

This is a great time to support independent Jewish journalism, because every dollar goes twice as far.

—  Rachel Fishman Feddersen, Publisher and CEO

2X match on all Passover gifts!

Republish This Story

Please read before republishing

We’re happy to make this story available to republish for free, unless it originated with JTA, Haaretz or another publication (as indicated on the article) and as long as you follow our guidelines.
You must comply with the following:

  • Credit the Forward
  • Retain our pixel
  • Preserve our canonical link in Google search
  • Add a noindex tag in Google search

See our full guidelines for more information, and this guide for detail about canonical URLs.

To republish, copy the HTML by clicking on the yellow button to the right; it includes our tracking pixel, all paragraph styles and hyperlinks, the author byline and credit to the Forward. It does not include images; to avoid copyright violations, you must add them manually, following our guidelines. Please email us at [email protected], subject line “republish,” with any questions or to let us know what stories you’re picking up.

We don't support Internet Explorer

Please use Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or Edge to view this site.