Skip To Content
Get Our Newsletter
JEWISH. INDEPENDENT. NONPROFIT.

Support the Forward

Funded by readers like you DonateSubscribe

Alan Gross Gets ‘Dignified’ Treatment on Hunger Strike, Cuba Says

A Jewish contractor who has launched a hunger strike while serving a long prison term in Cuba is receiving “dignified and decent treatment” in a hospital ward, where he is in normal and stable health, Cuba said on Wednesday.

Cuba’s communist government said it was concerned by a statement from Alan Gross’s lawyer on Tuesday that said his client had begun a hunger strike last week to protest his treatment by the Cuban and U.S. governments.

“Mr. Gross has received dignified and decent treatment,” Josefina Vidal, Cuba’s chief Foreign Ministry official for U.S. affairs, said in a statement. “Since his detention, he has been held in a hospital, not because his health requires it, but because there he can be guaranteed specialized attention by highly qualified medical and health staff.”

However, Gross’ attorney, Scott Gilbert said that Gross was confined to a small, constantly-lit cell with two other prisoners for 23 hours a day, and that he had lost 10 pounds (4.5 kg) since beginning his hunger strike on April 3, in addition to the 110 pounds he had lost over the previous four years in prison.

U.S.-Cuba relations, marked by more than half a century of hostility, had another setback last week with the revelation that USAID had established after Gross’s arrest a secretive “Cuban Twitter,” called ZunZuneo. Havana saw it as another U.S. attempt to subvert the communist government.

The United States has attempted to use social media to break through Cuba’s state monopoly on newspapers, radio and television. ZunZuneo and at least two other social networks financed by the U.S. government have mostly targeted the roughly 2 million mobile phone users on the island via text messaging, as Cuba has the lowest Internet density in the Western Hemisphere.

Gilbert criticized the United States on Tuesday for further endangering Gross by launching ZunZuneo, and said the revelation of the secretive social media service is what prompted Gross to begin his hunger strike on last Thursday.

Cuba has blamed the United States for Gross’s incarceration and on Wednesday repeated its offer to enter into talks that would also take up the cases of three Cuban agents serving long prison terms in the United States for spying on Cuban exile groups in Florida.

The United States has rejected any trade of the Cuban agents for Gross, and no formal talks have taken place.

Officials with the state telecommunications monopoly ETECSA and the Communications Ministry told a news conference on Wednesday that ZunZuneo and other social networks financed by the U.S. government violated numerous international regulations regarding spam and the use and collection of user data.

Cuba would not let the U.S. campaigns impede their plans to greatly improve access to broadband Internet service, said Carlos del Porto Blanco, a Communications Ministry official, while recognizing Cuba’s future Internet users would be susceptible to any number of commercial and political offensives.

Engage

  • SHARE YOUR FEEDBACK

  • UPCOMING EVENT

Republish This Story

Please read before republishing

We’re happy to make this story available to republish for free under an Attribution-Non Commercial-No Derivatives Creative Commons license as long as you follow our republishing guidelines, which require that you credit Foward and retain our pixel. See our full guidelines for more information.

To republish, copy the HTML, which includes our tracking pixel, all paragraph styles and hyperlinks, the author byline, and credit to Foward. Have questions? Please email us at help@forward.com.

We don't support Internet Explorer

Please use Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or Edge to view this site.