After Milan Stabbing, Jewish Sites in Italy Get More Security
Following the stabbing of a Hasidic Jew in Milan Thursday night, security at Jewish and Israeli sites throughout Italy is being bolstered.
Italian Interior Minister Angelino Alfano met with the head of Italy’s Jewish communities to discuss what the ministry said was “the commitment of law enforcement agencies to guarantee security for Jewish institutions and the potential sites that those who foment hatred might want to target,” The Associated Press reported.
According to the AP, Milan police said there was no evidence so far to indicate a hate crime and sought to play down the attack. However, Milan’s provincial security committee decided to intensify security around Jewish and Israeli targets to the highest levels.
The stabbing victim, Natan Graf, is the son-in-law of Chabad emissary Rabbi Levi Hezkia and is, according to the AP, an Israeli citizen. Graf, 40, sustained serious injuries, including to his face, in the attack, but none is life-threatening.
Graff was wearing a yarmulke at the time of the attack, which occurred outside a kosher pizzeria in the heart of Milan’s Jewish neighborhood. He is recovering at Milan’s Niguarda hospital.