Skip To Content
Get Our Newsletter
JEWISH. INDEPENDENT. NONPROFIT.

Support the Forward

Funded by readers like you DonateSubscribe

Charges Against IDF Soldier Who Shot Palestinian Downgraded to Manslaughter

The Israel Defense Forces soldier suspected of killing a wounded Palestinian attacker as he lay on the ground will face manslaughter charges, a military tribunal ruled Thursday, requesting he remain under arrest until the investigation is completed.

Lieutenant Colonel Aduram Riegler, the IDF’s attorney for operational affairs, said during the tribunal that “The soldier is suspected of shooting deliberately and without need from an operational standpoint while the terrorist lay on the ground after the same terrorist had previously been shot by IDF soldiers. During the investigation, the soldier’s battalion commander testified that he did not believe that the soldier was telling the truth when he said he felt threatened in explaining why he opened fire and was therefore immediately suspended from combat duty.

The prosecution said during the tribunal that they want to extend the soldier’s detention for another week, effectively asking the soldier remain under arrest until certain parts of the investigation have been completed, on grounds of risks posed by the suspect.

“The evidence points in our view to a serious suspicion regarding the suspect. The type of suspicion from which there is military risk, and including investigation needs which require the suspect’s extended remand,” Riegler said, sadding that there were significant developments the further provide evidentiary basis for the suspicion.

“At a time when the terrorist lay on the ground for a number of minutes, you could see more than a small number of commanders, soldiers and civilians treating the wounded soldier at the scene. You can also identify the suspect arriving at the scene and helping to treat the wounded soldier,” he continued. skip – Israeli soldier shoots subdued Palestinian attacker in Hebron.

“At a certain stage after the wounded soldier was evacuated, a few minutes after the terrorist has been laying on the ground, you can see the suspect walk over and pick up something, apparently his helmet, and from there he starts to walk in the general direction of the terrorist lying on the ground.” “At this stage, without anything special happening, and without any sign of any panic, or other danger signs in the area or form the suspect himself, you can see the suspect stop next to a soldier, it looks like he hands him something or other that he is holding, apparently the helmet, he cocks his gun and makes some sort of gesture, apparently to people standing nearby to move away, and in cold blood shoots deliberately from close range at the terrorist’s head.”

Riegler said that one cannot see any life-threatening signs or self defense from the videotape. “The suspect doesn’t throw the helmet down and charge at the terrorist, he doesn’t shout. He cocks his gun while in a standing position, in what appears to be cool-headed behavior.”

Riegler said that “the evidentiary basis is reinforced also by statements made by the suspect immediately after the shooting, as heard by a few soldiers and an officer at the scene. In response to a question by the company commander, who was there and stood near the terrorist and asked the suspect why he opened fire, the suspect replied: ‘the terrorist was alive he deserved to die.’”

Riegler said that such remarks are a hint at a confession and also show the motives behind the shooting. “These quotes contain no claims of a life threatening situation, and show the suspect’s motives and his mood in real time. As we know the suspect’s version (of a life-threatening situation) developed at a later stage.”

MK Ahmed Tibi (Joint Arab List) said: “This is a soldier who is a murderer who perpetrated a criminal act in plain view in the video. And the decision influenced by the remarks of the prime minister who asked to take into account the soldier’s family, shows again how such cases must be investigated by an international tribunal as war crimes.”

“We weren’t surprised and didn’t’ hang any hopes on the occupation army which apparently is judging its own soldiers,” Tibi continued, adding that “the soldiers and officers must be investigated and punished as well as the medical teams that stood there and didn’t life a finger neither before the murder nor afterwards. We wouldn’t be surprised if the charge winds up being downgraded to a lighter offense.”

The prosecutor said the autopsy is expected to take place on Sunday after Thursday morning’s High Court ruling.

On Tuesday, Riegler said prosecutors were trying to work out the specific charges. He suggested murder, manslaughter and causing death through negligence were among the possibilities under consideration. Investigators have taken testimony from soldiers and officers who were at the scene of the attack of a week ago, among them a soldier who was stabbed and wounded by one of the terrorists.

Engage

  • SHARE YOUR FEEDBACK

  • UPCOMING EVENT

Republish This Story

Please read before republishing

We’re happy to make this story available to republish for free under an Attribution-Non Commercial-No Derivatives Creative Commons license as long as you follow our republishing guidelines, which require that you credit Foward and retain our pixel. See our full guidelines for more information.

To republish, copy the HTML, which includes our tracking pixel, all paragraph styles and hyperlinks, the author byline, and credit to Foward. Have questions? Please email us at help@forward.com.

We don't support Internet Explorer

Please use Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or Edge to view this site.