I know this is probably something you don’t want to hear but it’s true. Pictures matter! Everything from their order to who is in them!
We often host focus groups at our NY headquarters and what we found out is that 71% said pictures were the main reason to swipe left on a profile, followed by age and distance. 57% base their decision of swiping right solely on the main profile picture, while the other 43% click into a profile to view more info about a user before swiping.
So, how do you make sure your profile gets swiped right? I see way too many profile picture mistakes on people’s profiles so check out my profile pictures Do’s and Don’t’s for men and women.
• DON’T post a picture of you and another girl. Is that your girlfriend? Was it your girlfriend? We get it, you have pretty girl friends.
• DO post a picture with your mom, this makes us want to swipe to the right fast!
• DON’T post a picture of you with other guys. Which one are you? Your friend is hot, can you introduce me to him instead?
• DO post an action shot! It’s sexy to see a guy doing sports!
• DON’T post mirror selfies, especially shirtless in a bathroom. That’s just creepy.
• DON’T post a picture of you and a group of girlfriends. You wouldn’t want a guy to swipe right just so you can introduce him to your beautiful friend, now would you?
• DO post a full-body image! Guys are onto you if all you upload is pictures from the waist up and of your face. Be proud of your body and show it off!
• DON’T post pictures with your ex-boyfriend or some random guy. If those pictures get automatically imported from Facebook, remove and replace immediately!
• DO post pictures of your radiant and beautiful smile! Look happy and positive, Mr. Right is going to crush you soon!
• DON’T post pictures of you with too many drinks at a party or looking scantily clad. You might attract the wrong type if he suspects you are a party girl!
Bios are important!
Fact: Interesting bios that grab your attention get more right swipes than good pictures alone. Don’t know what to write in your bio? Think of a unique quality that the person swiping would never guess about you based on your pictures alone. Something as simple as: “I lived in Tokyo for 3 years” is guaranteed to get the conversation started.
Tip for those who are using dating apps while traveling: Update your bio so the potential local matches know you’re traveling. A “looking for a cute tour guide” profile will definitely increase your right swipes.
Watch the full video:
Sonya Kreizman is the co-founder and CEO of Crush Mobile, a company that develops mobile dating apps like JCrush and MiCrush, targeted at specific singles markets across the world. Sonya is responsible for managing day-to-day operations such as overseeing developers, designers, marketing strategy and most importantly, answering each and every dating question sent by an existing or future user. Her no-nonsense, pragmatic advice has been heralded by many critics, especially within the dating app scene. It is Sonya’s wide-ranging knowledge of millennials and online dating that has set her apart from the rest. In a business where most “dating coaches” have a book and a couple of life experiences as credibility, Sonya is the only dating app CEO offering real time advice. As online dating and traditional dating quickly become part of the same fabric, Sonya’s words are proven more and more invaluable.
This story "WATCH: An Expert’s Top 10 Tips for Creating a Successful Dating Profile" was written by Sonya Kreizman.