This is the Forward’s coverage of Auschwitz-Birkenau, a concentration and extermination camp in Poland run by the Nazis during the Holocaust.
Auschwitz-Birkenau
The Latest
-
Fast Forward Auschwitz Guard Will Stand Trial for 3,681 Murders
A 95-year-old former paramedic at the Nazi death camp Auschwitz will go on trial in Germany next month on charges of being an accessory to the murder of at least 3,681 people a German court announced on Monday. Hubert Z., whose last name is being withheld because of Germany’s privacy laws, was a sergeant in…
-
Fast Forward Auschwitz Memorial Draws Record 1.72M Visitors in 2015
A record number of more than 1.72 million visitors came to the Auschwitz memorial in 2015. The new mark breaks the standard of 1.534 million visitors set last year, the Auschwitz-Birkenau Memorial and Museum in Poland reported Monday. In 2015, Poland had the most visitors with 425,000. Rounding out the top five were the United…
-
Fast Forward 2 Brit Teens Charged in Auschwitz Artifacts Theft
WARSAW, Poland — Two 17-year-old British boys face up to 10 years in prison for stealing items from the site of the Auschwitz-Birkenau museum in Poland. An indictment was filed Tuesday with the Regional Court in Krakow. Museum guards stopped the teenagers in June while they were on a trip with the independent Perse School…
-
Fast Forward 95-Year-Old Auschwitz Paramedic Faces Trial for 3,681 Murders
A German court on Tuesday permitted the trial of a 95-year-old German man accused of being an accessory to the murder of at least 3,681 people at the Nazi death camp Auschwitz-Birkenau. The higher court of Rostock in northern Germany deemed Hubert Z. fit for trial, overruling a previous decision by a lower court that…
-
Fast Forward Canadian Candidate Admits Not Knowing What Auschwitz Is
A candidate in Canada’s federal elections has apologized for not knowing that Auschwitz was a Nazi death camp. “Well, I didn’t know what Auschwitz was, or I didn’t up until today,” Alex Johnstone, who is running in the Oct. 19 elections for Parliament in southwestern Ontario for the New Democratic Party, told the Hamilton Spectator…
-
Fast Forward Second 93-Year-Old Auschwitz Guard Faces Trial
A German court is waiting for medical clearance before trying a 93-year-old former Auschwitz guard on 170,000 counts of accessory to murder. If Reinhold Hanning is determined mentally competent to stand trial, it will be the second trial this year of an ex-Nazi over the age of 90. Anke Grudda, spokeswoman for the Detmold state…
-
Fast Forward Auschwitz Removes Controversial Showers as Temperature Dips
Mist sprinklers installed at the site of the former Nazi concentration camp complex Auschwitz-Birkenau that sparked controversy were removed. Administrators of the Auschwitz-Birkenau State Museum told the Hebrew-language Nana10 website on Wednesday that they were removing the sprinklers, which resemble shower heads, because they were no longer needed following a drop in temperature. Many visitors…
-
Opinion Visiting Auschwitz? Enjoy a Cool ‘Mist’ Shower
You thought selfies at Auschwitz were bad? Well, we can top that. Or at least, the caretakers of the Auschwitz concentration camp museum can. Meir Bulka, 48, visited Auschwitz-Birkenau this Sunday and was surprised to see these showers, spraying mist at the overheated visitors. “Showers” placed at Auschwitz entrance http://t.co/VS7s1WcHX5 pic.twitter.com/rzlQJdpksh — Ynetnews (@ynetnews) August…
Most Popular
- 1
Opinion A Reichstag fire is blazing in Trump’s America and we know exactly who is fanning the flames
- 2
Culture Is Netflix’s new show the most Jewish cartoon ever?
- 3
Fast Forward Minneapolis school shooting suspect had Tree of Life shooter’s name and antisemitic messages on his guns, videos show
- 4
Opinion Trump’s attacks on the Smithsonian come straight from the Nazi playbook
In Case You Missed It
-
Fast Forward ‘Be a human being about this’: Ritchie Torres, Adam Friedland and a sensational confrontation over the Israel-Hamas War
-
Fast Forward Former Biden officials are speaking out about what happened behind the scenes on Israel
-
Fast Forward Yosef Blau, author of an Orthodox rabbis’ letter calling out Israel, responds to his critics
-
Yiddish ווי ייִדישע קינדער־ליטעראַטור האָט געזאָלט העלפֿן קינדער פֿאַרשטיין די וועלטHow Yiddish children’s literature aimed to help kids make sense of the world
די אַמאָליקע קינדערביכער האָבן אָפּגעשפּיגלט כּלערליי פּאָליטישע וויזיעס און אויך אַ נײַעם פֿאַרשטאַנד פֿון קינדער און משפּחה־לעבן.
-
Shop the Forward Store
100% of profits support our journalism