2 packages active dry yeast
½ cup sugar
2 cups warm water (105-115F)
½ teaspoons ground ginger
1 ½ teaspoons ground cardamom
2 teaspoons salt
½ cup vegetable oil
3 eggs, divided, lightly beaten
1 cup canned cooked pumpkin
8 ½ cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1) In large bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in water. Let stand 10 minutes.
2) Mix in ginger, cardamom, salt, oil, 2 eggs, pumpkin. Blend in flour, 2 cups at a time, mixing well after each addition.
3) On lightly floured surface, knead dough until smooth and elastic, 8-10 min. Reflour surface if dough is too sticky.
4) Place ball of dough in large, greased bowl. Turn dough in bowl so entire surface is greased. Cover bowl with clean dish towel and allow to rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
5) Punch dough down. On lightly floured surface, form 2 loaves and 12 rolls. Place each loaf in lightly greased 9x5x3-inch pan. Place rolls on lightly greased cookie sheet. Cover and let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes.
6) Preheat oven to 375 F. Brush tops of loaves and rolls with remaining beaten egg. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake 20 minutes and remove rolls. Bake loaves additional 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool 20 minutes in pans. Remove from pans and cool completely on racks. Loaves and rolls may be frozen.
Pan De Calabaza