Skip To Content
JEWISH. INDEPENDENT. NONPROFIT.
Community

How Trump’s Election Inspired Me To Fully Observe Shabbat

Last Friday, the Shabbat observant daughter and son-in-law of the recently inaugurated President Trump were shuttled by car back and forth from inauguration balls and parties to their new home in Georgetown.

That same night, I chose to fully observe Shabbat for the first time since my days at Jewish summer camp. 4 days earlier, I had arrived in Israel to study at Hebrew University, and with the time difference, Shabbat arrived just as the world turned its eyes to Washington, D.C. for the inauguration ceremony. If I were at home or at school, I would have live streamed the entire event, simultaneously miserable yet unable to look away. Instead, I decided to observe Shabbat. In the presence of new friends, I spent 25 hours free from technology, breaking news updates and anxiety. I spent the day focused on myself and my community.

I had not expected to spend the weekend at a kibbutz in Israel; I had anticipated spending the weekend in Washington, D.C., at the inauguration of Hillary Clinton, a woman whom I admire and respect. “Now you don’t have to go to your program late,” my mother told me on November 9th. I could not stop crying.

When I arrived in Israel last week, I felt a change to the uniquely Jewish way of tracking time; in Israel, every day of the week feels like a countdown to Shabbat. But while street vendors advertised their pastries and pre-made challah dough, January 20th approached, and my dread grew deeper. It was a busy week, during which I had little time to read the news, but ample time for quick reloads of my Twitter feed. The consensus in my liberal Internet bubble seemed clear: On Friday, the world as we know it will end (This only a slight exaggeration). But my friends in Israel weren’t thinking about America at all, let alone politics. Shabbat gripped them, too, from the moment we stepped off the plane at Ben-Gurion Airport.

To be sure, Shabbat was a constant part of my childhood, and it is a constant part of my life as an undergraduate. But beyond weekly Shabbat dinners, I never experimented with Shabbat observance within the confines of Jewish law. At Camp Ramah, keeping Shabbat (not using electricity and postponing letter-writing, among other commandments) was mandatory. But it will surprise no one to know that many campers hid their iPods under their pillows on Shabbat, and wrote letters under the covers, and took selfies when no one was looking. Certainly, during my 2 summers on staff, I never fully kept Shabbat; most of my friends didn’t, either (Sorry, Ramah). I always wondered how it would feel to fully disconnect.

Gripped with sadness after the election, I could barely read the news for weeks. I began to feel better when I read about the power of resistance, which ultimately brought millions of women and allies onto to the streets the day after the inauguration. So when I got to Israel and felt the pain of the impending inauguration of Donald Trump—a man whose deep-rooted hatred and nastiness run counter to the warm, inclusive Judaism that I love—I decided to resist in my own way.

I resolved not to sit in front of my computer crying on a Friday night in Israel. Since I couldn’t make it to Washington to march on the 21st, I decided instead to observe Shabbat. Otherwise, I knew, anxiety would creep in. I would feel compelled to leave Shabbat dinner early to watch the ceremony. But by choosing self-love—Shabbat—I felt okay. Rabbi Heschel once wrote that we must “learn to understand that the world has already been created and will survive without the help of man.” Last Shabbat, I felt the world continue apace without me. It felt great.

I turned on my phone Saturday evening and pictures of joyous women at marches across the globe flooded my screen. I didn’t march next to them, but I understood their happiness. I felt it that day, too.

I hope you appreciated this article. Before you go, I’d like to ask you to please support the Forward’s award-winning journalism this Passover.

In this age of misinformation, our work is needed like never before. We report on the news that matters most to American Jews, driven by truth, not ideology.

At a time when newsrooms are closing or cutting back, the Forward has removed its paywall. That means for the first time in our 126-year history, Forward journalism is free to everyone, everywhere. With an ongoing war, rising antisemitism, and a flood of disinformation that may affect the upcoming election, we believe that free and open access to Jewish journalism is imperative.

Readers like you make it all possible. Right now, we’re in the middle of our Passover Pledge Drive and we still need 300 people to step up and make a gift to sustain our trustworthy, independent journalism.

Make a gift of any size and become a Forward member today. You’ll support our mission to tell the American Jewish story fully and fairly. 

— Rachel Fishman Feddersen, Publisher and CEO

Join our mission to tell the Jewish story fully and fairly.

Only 300 more gifts needed by April 30

Republish This Story

Please read before republishing

We’re happy to make this story available to republish for free, unless it originated with JTA, Haaretz or another publication (as indicated on the article) and as long as you follow our guidelines. You must credit the Forward, retain our pixel and preserve our canonical link in Google search.  See our full guidelines for more information, and this guide for detail about canonical URLs.

To republish, copy the HTML by clicking on the yellow button to the right; it includes our tracking pixel, all paragraph styles and hyperlinks, the author byline and credit to the Forward. It does not include images; to avoid copyright violations, you must add them manually, following our guidelines. Please email us at [email protected], subject line “republish,” with any questions or to let us know what stories you’re picking up.

We don't support Internet Explorer

Please use Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or Edge to view this site.