Skip To Content
JEWISH. INDEPENDENT. NONPROFIT.
Community

Hitler’s Secret Weapon Was Silence

Silence is complicity. Hearing those words recently, it felt like an echo from a time long ago and far away. A time when people were afraid to speak up, afraid to rock the boat, afraid to be singled out. Eighty years ago, as we recall today on International Holocaust Remembrance Day, Europe was in the grip of a madman, Adolf Hitler. But one madman as we know did not, and could not, have acted alone. He relied on the cooperation of many people — and the silence of even more.

I was a small boy growing up in Poland and Hungary caught up in the middle of the madness, unable to know how it would affect me and the entire world around me. Like many, I’m sure I felt powerless. What could one person, one child, do? All I could do was try to survive, and somehow — through four concentration camps, two death trains and two death marches — I did. I wish I could say the same of so many others.

Since the end of World War II, we have told ourselves “Never Again.” Never again will we allow the seeds of hate, intolerance, and bullying to sprout and overtake our society. And never again will we remain silent.

Yet, right now, we face an epidemic across America and the world. More and more it seems like people are willing to spread lies, intimidate each other, and find ways to separate us. This is a recipe that those of us who zachor — remember — know all too well. We think that they are “just words” and that it will never go beyond that. But as we have seen recently, it can easily go beyond that.

Am I being dramatic? Maybe. I certainly hope so. But I also believe there is a very simple and direct way to stop this epidemic before it starts: Meet the voices of hate and intolerance, meet the bullies, with the same level of response. But a response of peace, a response of love, a response of compassion.

But how do we do this and make sure the world can hear us? I thought about this a lot as I have travelled with the ZACHOR Foundation, an organization I created with my family to help keep the lessons of the Holocaust alive. It almost always happens that when I tell my story to a group of people of any age, someone will come up to me afterward and ask what they can do, how they can make a difference. And so, we created a site called I-SHOUT-OUT.org.

The idea of I-SHOUT-OUT.org is simple. It’s a place where everyone can sign up and with a few simple clicks let the world know what they are SHOUTING OUT for, or against. SHOUT OUT for freedom. SHOUT OUT against bullies. SHOUT OUT for tolerance. SHOUT OUT against racism. And so on. The site records your name, age and location so that the whole world can see how many people are taking a stand. And we intend to keep the site going long after I am gone, so that future generations can see your SHOUT OUT too.

I know what you’re thinking: What is an 89-year-old man doing talking about websites? Shouldn’t I be wishing for the days of rotary telephones and fax machines? But technology is an incredible thing. It’s the key to communication, and controlling communication, remember, is how evil is able to dominate. So using the most up-to-date technology is vital to communicating across generations and borders and cultures.

This doesn’t cost anything, by the way (it’s supported by the Zachor foundation). It’s available to anyone, of any age, and any religion, and it takes about sixty seconds to make a statement that will be archived for generations. We have already collected thousands of SHOUT-OUTs from people as close as my next door neighbor to as far away as Kenya. But we want to get more, hundreds of thousands more, even millions more. In fact, we’d like to have six million SHOUT-OUTs to equal the six million voices silenced in the Holocaust. We would like to see whole cities SHOUT-OUT. Sound crazy? Maybe. But every voice can make a difference. Including yours.

I hope you appreciated this article. Before you go, I’d like to ask you to please support the Forward’s award-winning journalism this Passover.

In this age of misinformation, our work is needed like never before. We report on the news that matters most to American Jews, driven by truth, not ideology.

At a time when newsrooms are closing or cutting back, the Forward has removed its paywall. That means for the first time in our 126-year history, Forward journalism is free to everyone, everywhere. With an ongoing war, rising antisemitism, and a flood of disinformation that may affect the upcoming election, we believe that free and open access to Jewish journalism is imperative.

Readers like you make it all possible. Right now, we’re in the middle of our Passover Pledge Drive and we still need 300 people to step up and make a gift to sustain our trustworthy, independent journalism.

Make a gift of any size and become a Forward member today. You’ll support our mission to tell the American Jewish story fully and fairly. 

— Rachel Fishman Feddersen, Publisher and CEO

Join our mission to tell the Jewish story fully and fairly.

Only 300 more gifts needed by April 30

Republish This Story

Please read before republishing

We’re happy to make this story available to republish for free, unless it originated with JTA, Haaretz or another publication (as indicated on the article) and as long as you follow our guidelines. You must credit the Forward, retain our pixel and preserve our canonical link in Google search.  See our full guidelines for more information, and this guide for detail about canonical URLs.

To republish, copy the HTML by clicking on the yellow button to the right; it includes our tracking pixel, all paragraph styles and hyperlinks, the author byline and credit to the Forward. It does not include images; to avoid copyright violations, you must add them manually, following our guidelines. Please email us at [email protected], subject line “republish,” with any questions or to let us know what stories you’re picking up.

We don't support Internet Explorer

Please use Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or Edge to view this site.