Skip To Content
JEWISH. INDEPENDENT. NONPROFIT.
Community

Jewish Institutions, Not #MeToo Victims, Must Change The Status Quo

The Jewish community believes itself to be prepared to stand by victims of sexual assault and harassment — and yet lacks the communal and individual repentance that must pave the way for creating safe and responsive spaces. Yes, victims should be encouraged to share their narratives when they are ready. But in the meantime, the Jewish community needs to do more than wait to listen.

Recently, I was interviewed by a journalist who asked if I, a rabbi, have had a #metoo experience. I described one incident minimally, emphasizing that I would not share more details. The reporter then wanted to talk about my organization’s work in the #metoo space, especially a recent private webinar in which rabbis shared their #metoo narratives. I listed all of our various efforts, but this journalist, like others, wanted to record those stories shared by our rabbis. When I explained that this information is confidential, the interview turned into an outright debate. The reporter was well meaning, but frustrated, seeking hard evidence from first person accounts of sexual harassment in the Jewish community in order to bring justice to the victims. Noting that actresses in Hollywood are speaking out, the reporter lamented that women in the Jewish community are too scared to tell their stories. Those Hollywood women are certainly brave, but they also have power, money and followers. The silence of women is not unique to the Jewish community, rather it is ubiquitous throughout our entire society. Women continue to fear speaking out, because of judgment and retribution. Many have already reported these incidents only to have no justice.

The Jewish community must do better than saying we are finally ready to listen. Rather than demanding that victims tell their narratives, the community must admit the other side of the story. What if every major Jewish institution came forward describing times when victims spoke out and those in power dismissed or diminished their truths? What if those leaders admitted to thinking about liability rather than culpability? What if the bystanders who said nothing as they watched women being bullied, harassed or undermined, sought repentance for enabling a culture in which abuse could take place? What if after every gathering in the Jewish community, we announced, “if you have been made to feel uncomfortable or unsafe in this community, we want to know about it,” and actually provided a process for reporting such incidents?

We need to shift the responsibility from victims to the community and ultimately to transgressors. Somewhere in this rush for truth we seem to have lost the important understanding that the victims were hurt once before. Do not victimize them again by blaming them for the lack of progress. We do not speak out because the community is not equipped to respond. Prove that our institutions and individuals are willing to ask for teshuva, repentance, for not taking claims seriously in the past and even willfully ignoring them in order to protect organizations or perpetrators; recognize that the process of reporting harassment has been broken and needs to be rebuilt; ensure that there is going to appropriate pastoral, psychological, and legal support for victims; stymie retribution so that victims do not need to choose between voicing their truths or maintaining their personal and professional status in our community. Then we can honestly declare, “נַעֲשֶׂה וְנִשְׁמָע we will do and we will listen.” (Exodus 24:7)

I hope you appreciated this article. Before you go, I’d like to ask you to please support the Forward’s award-winning journalism this Passover.

In this age of misinformation, our work is needed like never before. We report on the news that matters most to American Jews, driven by truth, not ideology.

At a time when newsrooms are closing or cutting back, the Forward has removed its paywall. That means for the first time in our 126-year history, Forward journalism is free to everyone, everywhere. With an ongoing war, rising antisemitism, and a flood of disinformation that may affect the upcoming election, we believe that free and open access to Jewish journalism is imperative.

Readers like you make it all possible. Right now, we’re in the middle of our Passover Pledge Drive and we still need 300 people to step up and make a gift to sustain our trustworthy, independent journalism.

Make a gift of any size and become a Forward member today. You’ll support our mission to tell the American Jewish story fully and fairly. 

— Rachel Fishman Feddersen, Publisher and CEO

Join our mission to tell the Jewish story fully and fairly.

Only 300 more gifts needed by April 30

Republish This Story

Please read before republishing

We’re happy to make this story available to republish for free, unless it originated with JTA, Haaretz or another publication (as indicated on the article) and as long as you follow our guidelines. You must credit the Forward, retain our pixel and preserve our canonical link in Google search.  See our full guidelines for more information, and this guide for detail about canonical URLs.

To republish, copy the HTML by clicking on the yellow button to the right; it includes our tracking pixel, all paragraph styles and hyperlinks, the author byline and credit to the Forward. It does not include images; to avoid copyright violations, you must add them manually, following our guidelines. Please email us at [email protected], subject line “republish,” with any questions or to let us know what stories you’re picking up.

We don't support Internet Explorer

Please use Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or Edge to view this site.