Skip To Content
JEWISH. INDEPENDENT. NONPROFIT.
Community

I Have A Disability — But Judaism Empowers Me To Advocate For Inclusion

A version of this article originally appeared in New Voices.

I’ve met member of the House Bipartisan Disabilities Caucus Rep. James Langevin (D-RI), networked with RespectAbilityUSA president Jennifer Laszlo-Mizrahi, and practiced my ASL with program director of Gallaudet University Hillel Jacob Salem, the first-ever Hillel director who is Deaf.

One year ago, as a freshman at American University, I could scarcely imagine having any of these opportunities. This year, it’s all in a typical Tuesday.

Let me back up for just a minute to explain.

I had never heard of Jewish Disability Advocacy Day or even Jewish Disability Awareness and Inclusion Month until the fall of 2016, when the former director of engagement at American University Hillel invited me to participate. Curious and excited by this chance to explore the intersection of two of my most central identities, I registered to attend the event, sponsored by the Jewish Federations of North America and the Religious Action Center of Reform Judaism. I traveled to Capitol Hill with a friend from AU Hillel, eager to learn and hoping to find some ideas to bring back to campus.

Ultimately, I came back with so much more. Just a few short days after the event, I hosted my own Disability Inclusion Shabbat at Hillel, a first of its kind event on my campus, where I was able to introduce concepts I had learned from the speakers and attendees at the advocacy day, along with the materials I had prepared myself.

Lately, I’ve been thinking about how all this came about, and I realize that it’s the product of a synergistic relationship between two of the most fundamental aspects of my being – Jewish identity and disability advocacy. These two identities have merged in the world and in me.

I feel front and center in a Jewish communal effort to change the culture and make life more inclusive.

I have discovered that there is a movement of disability inclusion advocates whose work is fueled, informed and enriched by their Jewish values.

Rabbi Gary Pokras of Congregation Beth Ami in Rockville, Maryland, highlighted this same point during this year’s advocacy day: “What we are doing today is truly in the order of the Torah. It is truly holy. This isn’t just practicing the Jewish value of helping others, but instead is [what it means to be] Jewish.”

And joining me in this holy work are my fellow Jewish students.

Seated at my table in the Rayburn House Office Building during the advocacy day program, was Adam Fishbein, a fellow Hillel student at American University. Last year, he stood up to ask a question of the assembled experts that struck me as particularly brave for its humility: “What advice do you have for me as a self-advocate? How can I be a better self-advocate?”

The answer isn’t simple, but Hillel is empowering students like us to become self-advocates for the issues that matter most to us — students like the Ruderman Inclusion Ambassadors who fan out on campuses across the country to host disability inclusion initiatives and start groundbreaking conversations about inclusion on campus.

“As a college student, it’s so important to come to [these events] and learn about these issues so we can bring the knowledge back to campus and make a difference,” said Gabrielle Nurenberchik, a Jewish student at Susquehanna University. She was inspired to come to this year’s advocacy day after Hillel helped send her to the Ruderman Inclusion Summit in November. Like so many of us, her interest in disability inclusion is amplified by her Judaism and, in return, her connection to her Jewish identity strengthened through her advocacy work.

By recognizing many of the Jewish values I have grown up practicing reflected in the world of social justice work, I have become a more curious, compassionate and open-minded disability advocate. And by learning how people with disabilities have historically found leadership opportunities in the Jewish community – even pivotal leadership roles — like Moses, who had a speech impediment, and Jacob, who had a limp, I am finding myself more at home in my religion than I have ever felt.

I hope you appreciated this article. Before you go, I’d like to ask you to please support the Forward’s award-winning journalism this Passover.

In this age of misinformation, our work is needed like never before. We report on the news that matters most to American Jews, driven by truth, not ideology.

At a time when newsrooms are closing or cutting back, the Forward has removed its paywall. That means for the first time in our 126-year history, Forward journalism is free to everyone, everywhere. With an ongoing war, rising antisemitism, and a flood of disinformation that may affect the upcoming election, we believe that free and open access to Jewish journalism is imperative.

Readers like you make it all possible. Right now, we’re in the middle of our Passover Pledge Drive and we need 500 people to step up and make a gift to sustain our trustworthy, independent journalism.

Make a gift of any size and become a Forward member today. You’ll support our mission to tell the American Jewish story fully and fairly. 

— Rachel Fishman Feddersen, Publisher and CEO

Join our mission to tell the Jewish story fully and fairly.

Our Goal: 500 gifts during our Passover Pledge Drive!

Republish This Story

Please read before republishing

We’re happy to make this story available to republish for free, unless it originated with JTA, Haaretz or another publication (as indicated on the article) and as long as you follow our guidelines. You must credit the Forward, retain our pixel and preserve our canonical link in Google search.  See our full guidelines for more information, and this guide for detail about canonical URLs.

To republish, copy the HTML by clicking on the yellow button to the right; it includes our tracking pixel, all paragraph styles and hyperlinks, the author byline and credit to the Forward. It does not include images; to avoid copyright violations, you must add them manually, following our guidelines. Please email us at [email protected], subject line “republish,” with any questions or to let us know what stories you’re picking up.

We don't support Internet Explorer

Please use Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or Edge to view this site.