Skip To Content
JEWISH. INDEPENDENT. NONPROFIT.
Community

Simple, Delicious Food For The Intermediate Days Of Passover

The Cooking’s Just Begun —-Pesach Part 2 And Healthy New Snacks To Pack For Play and Work

The Passover Seders are over and it’s time to replenish your refrigerator. But don’t fret: if you try my quick and easy fish ideas, you’ll be out of the kitchen before you finish that last cup of coffee.

Fish Cakes

Use your own favorite croquette recipe with binder of choice. Use some of your fresh leftover herbs and mince into very small, chewable pieces.

I use Dagim tuna, fresh salmon that I grind or even fresh white fishes like flounder. To make it very simple, use any brand of gefilte fish. I use both Ossie’s Fish and Raskin’s Fish logs, both available in my neighborhood. Slice logs into pieces.

However you choose, bake mini cakes, slices or even ball-shaped cakes until golden brown on both sides and fully cooked on the inside.

Serve with your favorite condiments — I like to make a fruit salsa and a lemon, garlic, dill sauce.

Strawberry Rhubarb Salsa

1 Bag frozen bodek frozen strawberries and rhubarb, thawed and drained

1/2 box fresh strawberries, cut in quarters

1 Small red onion, diced

1 Yellow or orange pepper, seeded and diced

1 small Jalapeño Pepper, seeded and diced

Fresh parsley, finely chopped

Salt and pepper to Taste

Mix all ingredients together, let settle together in refrigerator at least 1 hour.

Lemon Garlic Dill Sauce

1 Cup mayonnaise of choice (full, low fat)

2 lemons squeezed for juice and some zest

1 cube gefen garlic

1 cube gefen dill

A taste of sweetener of choice

Blend together and refrigerate for at least one hour until ingredients to settle together.

Pack Those Healthy Snacks — Three New Products I Love

Image by Cindy Grosz

I can’t keep enough of these products on my shelves. The children are even grabbing them, preferring these treats to the traditional goodies they enjoyed previously. All are available online as well.

Fruits By Pesha Dehydrated Fruits

Sea Castle Seaweed Snacks

Fresh From The Heart Cookies

And A Tip….

Now is the perfect time to make your lists of what you need, what you want and what is readily available. For example, I need two new pillow case covers, as my nephews wanted me to give them mine as their afikomen gifts.

I also need a bigger food processor and some more dairy cooking utensils. Make these lists now and also put them in a very visible place so that when you start unpacking next year you have time to purchase and tovel before the holiday.

Also, now is a great time to stock up on coconut and almond flours, ketchup made without corn syrup, new bottles of spices and many kosher spirits and wines.

Take advantage of the competitive prices and availability. Also support Made in Israel goods and foods, especially those manufactured in facilities boycotted by the BDS Movement.

Have a fun and relaxing Chol Hamoed!

Finally, A Thank You

Some of you know that after posting my handmade Haggadah covers and matching bottom in my lucite matzo box, the square, large box slipped out of my hand and broke. I felt defeated. Many of you sent me private messages through my social media outlets and helped me connect to a local store to purchase what I wanted.

I hope you appreciated this article. Before you go, I’d like to ask you to please support the Forward’s award-winning journalism this Passover.

In this age of misinformation, our work is needed like never before. We report on the news that matters most to American Jews, driven by truth, not ideology.

At a time when newsrooms are closing or cutting back, the Forward has removed its paywall. That means for the first time in our 126-year history, Forward journalism is free to everyone, everywhere. With an ongoing war, rising antisemitism, and a flood of disinformation that may affect the upcoming election, we believe that free and open access to Jewish journalism is imperative.

Readers like you make it all possible. Right now, we’re in the middle of our Passover Pledge Drive and we still need 300 people to step up and make a gift to sustain our trustworthy, independent journalism.

Make a gift of any size and become a Forward member today. You’ll support our mission to tell the American Jewish story fully and fairly. 

— Rachel Fishman Feddersen, Publisher and CEO

Join our mission to tell the Jewish story fully and fairly.

Only 300 more gifts needed by April 30

Republish This Story

Please read before republishing

We’re happy to make this story available to republish for free, unless it originated with JTA, Haaretz or another publication (as indicated on the article) and as long as you follow our guidelines. You must credit the Forward, retain our pixel and preserve our canonical link in Google search.  See our full guidelines for more information, and this guide for detail about canonical URLs.

To republish, copy the HTML by clicking on the yellow button to the right; it includes our tracking pixel, all paragraph styles and hyperlinks, the author byline and credit to the Forward. It does not include images; to avoid copyright violations, you must add them manually, following our guidelines. Please email us at [email protected], subject line “republish,” with any questions or to let us know what stories you’re picking up.

We don't support Internet Explorer

Please use Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or Edge to view this site.