Skip To Content
JEWISH. INDEPENDENT. NONPROFIT.
Community

How Can Jewish Leaders Be So Ignorant About Intermarriage?

Here we go again. The Conservative rabbis disagree with each other about just how bad intermarriage is — is a Conservative rabbi allowed to stand in the back of an interfaith wedding as long as they don’t enjoy it? Or are interfaith marriages so bad that you shouldn’t even attend the chuppah?

I am a 35 year old “child” of intermarriage. I am politically progressive and religiously observant, sometimes in weird, idiosyncratic ways. I work in a Jewish organization. I am raising a beautiful Jewish son. My mother is an atheist Brooklyn Jew, first generation daughter of immigrants. My father is a lapsed Michigan Catholic. I have spoken, written and taught about intermarriage and mixed heritage Jews, to hundreds of people, over the last almost twenty years. I know dozens and dozens of Jews like me who come from a vastly diverse array of families. We honor our fathers and our mothers. We are an enormous asset to the Jewish people.

But when this conversation comes up, whether it’s the Conservative movement’s internal politics, or patrilineal Jews, or intermarried rabbis, or a celebrity wedding, or someone dares to enjoy a Christmas tree, Jewish leaders talk about intermarried families and mixed heritage Jews in ways that are frankly ignorant.

I am tired of hearing people who don’t know what they’re talking about, talking about us and our families. I am tired of reading junk sociology and xenophobic, fear-driven opinions. We are listening between the lines when you imply that our parents made the wrong decision, and that we are less wanted and less worthy than other Jews. Do you think that your dislike of non-Jews — our parents — is hidden? Do you think you can “welcome” us into synagogues, schools, and camps, while you talk openly about how our existence is a threat? We can tell when we are valued, and when your “welcome” is a thin veneer over your condescension and judgment.

I’m going to borrow a phrase from the world of disability justice advocates: nothing about us, without us. We no longer tolerate all-male panels talking about women’s issues. I want to hear more from intermarried people and from Jews proud of our mixed backgrounds.

Sociology and population studies can tell you who says they “feel Jewish” on a survey, but they don’t say why. No family’s rich and complicated story can be told through these studies. Sociology is a discipline well-known for its ideological dimension and for motivated reasoning, where researchers look for the answers they already believe are true. In the case of Jewish intermarriage, sociology has mirrored the mainstream Jewish community’s anxieties. As Lila Corwin Berman wrote in her 2008 article Sociology, Jews, and Intermarriage in Twentieth-Century America, “sociological thought shifted from defining Jewish outmarriage as a step toward creating a true melting pot to defending inmarriage as crucial to the ideals of democracy and social stability.” In other words, once we thought intermarriage would help knit Jews together with a diverse array of other American communities, and now we think it’s tearing us apart. Sociology tells us about the values of the people doing it, and those peoples’ values shifted massively to be against intermarriage.

The effect of all this uninformed opinion is that our community has poured literally hundreds of millions of dollars into camp, Birthright, and kiruv (outreach) programs, many primarily pushing in-marriage, based almost entirely on the opinions of people schlepping loads of unexamined assumptions and judgments about intermarried families. There are many, many good people running and funding these programs – many of them mixed heritage or intermarried. But it is rare that the content is driven by our insights, or that people like us are appreciated for our perspectives. Instead we are more often told, subtly or overtly, that our role is to promote in-marriage and to minimize the non-Jewish influence in interfaith families. These messages are clear and damaging: intermarried families are second-rate, and it’s best to conceal your non-Jewish heritage. What if, instead, we based our “welcoming” programs on the insights of people in and from interfaith families? What if Jews like me were elevated to leadership not despite our families but because of them?

Intermarriage is not new. Over half of today’s Jews under 40 are from intermarried families. We’re not children any more. I know Jews who are 50, 60, 70, 80 years old from intermarried families. We are comfortable with ourselves, and often we’re more reflective about our Jewish identities and journeys than Jews who have two Jewish parents. We have hard-earned insight into what would be compelling and nourishing for today’s intermarrying couples and their children.

Jewish leaders use intermarriage as a lazy way to categorize who’s “committed to the Jewish community” or whose marriage is good or who raised their children to “contribute” to the Jewish future. In all these conversations I hear serious, existential anxieties about assimilation and annihilation. Will there be Jews like us in the future? But we are not your scapegoat. Jews in mixed families care deeply about creating meaningful Jewish lives and communities. We, too, feel that it’s a tragedy when Jewish culture and identity get cheapened, hollowed out, and commercialized. That threat is real, especially for us American Jews living within a dominating, often hostile, mainstream American culture. How do we keep building and enriching a lively, loving, magnetic, righteous, boisterous, nourishing Judaism – of diverse kinds – in our hearts, homes, and communities? How do we do it in this increasingly materialistic, violent, sexist, white Christian supremacist country?

Interfaith families are uniquely equipped to speak about these challenges. But first, the conventional Jewish leadership would have to be willing to actually listen to us.

Many thousands of us are filling the synagogue pews, the rabbinical schools, and the staffs of Jewish organizations. Others of us have soured on these spaces given the range of nastiness we and our families face there, from throwaway rudeness to official rules that limit our roles. I daven in a Conservative shul more often than not, and I’d be honestly thrilled to write membership checks. But I can’t feel fully part of the community, and I won’t join formally until the movement accepts patrilineal Jews and stops treating intermarried families as second-class.

Rabbi Felipe Goodman, who hopes to be the vice president of the Conservative rabbis’ association, says intermarriage is “an issue of whether we’re going to be here tomorrow.” I can tell you who is going to be here tomorrow, rabbi. We are not the problem — we are the future.

I hope you appreciated this article. Before you go, I’d like to ask you to please support the Forward’s award-winning journalism this Passover.

In this age of misinformation, our work is needed like never before. We report on the news that matters most to American Jews, driven by truth, not ideology.

At a time when newsrooms are closing or cutting back, the Forward has removed its paywall. That means for the first time in our 126-year history, Forward journalism is free to everyone, everywhere. With an ongoing war, rising antisemitism, and a flood of disinformation that may affect the upcoming election, we believe that free and open access to Jewish journalism is imperative.

Readers like you make it all possible. Right now, we’re in the middle of our Passover Pledge Drive and we still need 300 people to step up and make a gift to sustain our trustworthy, independent journalism.

Make a gift of any size and become a Forward member today. You’ll support our mission to tell the American Jewish story fully and fairly. 

— Rachel Fishman Feddersen, Publisher and CEO

Join our mission to tell the Jewish story fully and fairly.

Only 300 more gifts needed by April 30

Republish This Story

Please read before republishing

We’re happy to make this story available to republish for free, unless it originated with JTA, Haaretz or another publication (as indicated on the article) and as long as you follow our guidelines. You must credit the Forward, retain our pixel and preserve our canonical link in Google search.  See our full guidelines for more information, and this guide for detail about canonical URLs.

To republish, copy the HTML by clicking on the yellow button to the right; it includes our tracking pixel, all paragraph styles and hyperlinks, the author byline and credit to the Forward. It does not include images; to avoid copyright violations, you must add them manually, following our guidelines. Please email us at [email protected], subject line “republish,” with any questions or to let us know what stories you’re picking up.

We don't support Internet Explorer

Please use Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or Edge to view this site.