Skip To Content
JEWISH. INDEPENDENT. NONPROFIT.
Community

To The Israeli Government, The Only Kosher Wedding Is An Orthodox One

A version of this article originally appeared in Plus61J, an Australian-Jewish publication.

Several years ago, when I was living in Tel Aviv, I attended the wedding of some Jewish friends. The bride and groom went out of their way to identify as secular Israelis rather than Jewish, and consistently struggled to understand my connection with Judaism as a girl from Australia.

Surprisingly, they were married by a Chabad rabbi. Robbed of the option of marrying civilly (or even through a non-Orthodox stream of Judaism) and without the tools to source a rabbi more attuned to their values, my friends were married the way that the Israeli Ministry of the Interior likes its Jews to get married: by the Orthodox book, via the Rabbinate, no questions asked.

When the time came for my husband and I to marry in Israel, the overwhelming task of making our chuppah haimish was almost enough to call off the wedding. Selecting a random black-hatted rabbi that did not represent who we were as people or Jews was not an option.

But my secular partner did not have a shul to call his own, nor had I taken the time to settle down with any rabbi since I had immigrated. We eventually undertook what I would now describe as a “Bachelorette” journey of auditions to find the right rabbi to marry us.

We met with a wide array of people, ranging from rabbis who were recognized by the Rabbinate to secular marriage celebrants whose ceremonies would not be recognized as anything other than a nice speech.

We quizzed each candidate about their approach to marriage, their connection to Judaism and what they would be willing to do for a couple like us. In the end, out of a stubborn desire to be legally and halachically recognized as married in Israel, we settled on a pair of rabbis.

One male, recognized by the State and sourced through the “alternative” Rabbinate body Tzohar, and the second a female, the inspiring Dr. Melanie Landau.

The four of us wove together a moving ceremony. The male rabbi performed the bare minimum to which he was obliged, and Rabbi Melanie enriched the ceremony with Jewish, feminist content. We pushed our male rabbi to the edge by insisting on a chuppah that was halachically acceptable but egalitarian in spirit: Both my partner and I smashed a glass to remember both Jerusalem and that relationships are never perfect.

Although we felt really proud about our ceremony, a nagging regret has been digging at me for the past few years. We bought into the system. We held our female rabbi second to the male rabbi. Our act of love and commitment was also an act of acceptance of all of the injustices that the Rabbinate inflicts on those wishing to marry in Israel.

I was reminded of this last month when the Knesset passed a new law allowing Israeli rabbinical courts to have jurisdiction over cases in which Orthodox Jewish men refuse to divorce their wives — even if neither are Israeli.

While being promoted as a law that can relieve the suffering of women whose husbands will not allow them a divorce (get) under Orthodox law, I doubt that this unilateral move, imposed on Diaspora Jews, is in the best interest of world Jewry.

This is the same Rabbinate that created an international blacklist of rabbis who they judged to not be sufficiently halachic (the list included two well-respected Melbourne rabbis, Ralph Genende and Fred Morgan), and is the same Rabbinate that degrades and bullies women attempting to receive a get.

This is a system that has criminalised the act of marrying outside of the Rabbinate in Israel, leaving couples and whoever dares to officiate the ceremony at the risk of being fined and/or facing up to two years in prison.

Academic Tomer Persico aptly wrote: “Israel is the only democracy in the world in which family law is subject to a religion. It is now taking a fundamentalist step forward by joining the small number of states in which transgression against a religious law is punished by a jail sentence.”

And that is only for those Israelis who want an Orthodox marriage. Those who want a different type of marriage — non-Orthodox, same-sex, a non-Jewish partner or secular — still need to fly out of the country for a ceremony in a foreign land.

Recently, I attended a same-sex wedding in Australia that was both completely Jewish and recognized under Australian law. Even if the Australian beit din does not accept this marriage, it was nonetheless one of the most significant Jewish experiences of my life.

People wishing to marry in Israel do not have access to any of these rights.

We Diaspora Jews may still remember Jerusalem under the chuppah when we choose to marry in a religious ceremony, but I do wish Jerusalem would forget about us. We are doing marriages just fine on our own.

I hope you appreciated this article. Before you go, I’d like to ask you to please support the Forward’s award-winning journalism this Passover.

In this age of misinformation, our work is needed like never before. We report on the news that matters most to American Jews, driven by truth, not ideology.

At a time when newsrooms are closing or cutting back, the Forward has removed its paywall. That means for the first time in our 126-year history, Forward journalism is free to everyone, everywhere. With an ongoing war, rising antisemitism, and a flood of disinformation that may affect the upcoming election, we believe that free and open access to Jewish journalism is imperative.

Readers like you make it all possible. Right now, we’re in the middle of our Passover Pledge Drive and we still need 300 people to step up and make a gift to sustain our trustworthy, independent journalism.

Make a gift of any size and become a Forward member today. You’ll support our mission to tell the American Jewish story fully and fairly. 

— Rachel Fishman Feddersen, Publisher and CEO

Join our mission to tell the Jewish story fully and fairly.

Only 300 more gifts needed by April 30

Republish This Story

Please read before republishing

We’re happy to make this story available to republish for free, unless it originated with JTA, Haaretz or another publication (as indicated on the article) and as long as you follow our guidelines. You must credit the Forward, retain our pixel and preserve our canonical link in Google search.  See our full guidelines for more information, and this guide for detail about canonical URLs.

To republish, copy the HTML by clicking on the yellow button to the right; it includes our tracking pixel, all paragraph styles and hyperlinks, the author byline and credit to the Forward. It does not include images; to avoid copyright violations, you must add them manually, following our guidelines. Please email us at [email protected], subject line “republish,” with any questions or to let us know what stories you’re picking up.

We don't support Internet Explorer

Please use Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or Edge to view this site.