Skip To Content
JEWISH. INDEPENDENT. NONPROFIT.
Community

An obituary for God

A few weeks ago, the New York Times marked the horrible milestone of 100,000 Americans’ deaths from COVID by printing the identities of 1,000 of the dead. It filled every inch of the front page with nothing but their names. Each name was accompanied by the person’s age and what I call a “microbituary”: a tiny one-sentence obituarial tribute to each individual which reminds the reader, in the Times’ own words, that “They were not simply names on a list. They were us.”

Reading the paper that morning, I was shocked by the radical reversal of its journalistic mission to deliver, at times in mind-numbing detail, the often-abstract facts of life and death in the world’s daily events. It was as if the Times had forced the journey of history to an abrupt, paralytic halt, in respectful deference to the precious singularity of each person felled by COVID.

Last week, carefully masked and distanced, my wife and I joined 11,000 of our fellow citizens of all backgrounds at a local protest where we live in upstate New York. We remembered George Floyd and others who were murdered by police officers; we protested the endemic, systematic racism, long entrenched in American society since slavery, that allowed this injustice to fester.

Looking around me at the posters bearing images of the victims and listening to the call-and-response chants of “Say his name!” and “Say her name!,” I felt once again as if I were swimming in a sea of microbituaries: tiny shrieks of outrage, auditory grave markers for the deceased – their names, their dates of birth and death, refusing to let us be deaf to the precious singularity of each person felled by the bullets or choked under the knees of blind hatred and its practitioners.

Though I coined the word, “microbituary,” eulogies, obituaries, death assemblages and grave markers have been a common part of culture for thousands of years. They highlight the anguished human struggle to keep the deceased alive through diverse strategies of the soul, the word, the arts, and faith. We mourn those who have died, and we vow to resurrect them, if only in our own minds, so that we can place our grief somewhere meaningful in the aftermath of our losses.

My Jewish faith teaches me that these losses belong not only to us. When one person ends another person’s life, it is not only the victim who dies. God, as it were, feels the loss keenly and a part of God symbolically also dies, or at least is deeply diminished.

So too, when any person, especially someone who is innocent, departs the world, the Jewish sages imagine God weeping in pain, wailing graphically, “My head is so heavy, My arm is so heavy!” euphemisms for God’s suffering. These are startling, unsettling claims, but they are deeply rooted in the Bible.

Jewish scripture has always taught that every human being — even one you might hate — is created in God’s image. The sages of ancient Judaism understood this to mean that each of us, with our uniqueness and our commonalities, is a reflection of God.

This idea is often lost on the modern reader of religious texts. Could the Bible possibly be claiming that the Creator would resemble His creations? What happened to the biblical prohibition against making a graven image of the God who is entirely unlike us?

Rather than be paralyzed by literalism, think of us being God’s reflection as a metaphor: a mirror reflects your image back to you, but that image is not actually you. So too, each of us “reflects” back into the world God’s powerful, creative presence, even though we are not, and never actually can be, God. Thus, if you diminish a human life, you diminish God’s mirrored presence, and you diminish God as well.

Death by pandemic and death by racist violence are entirely different kinds of catastrophes. Yet however our fellow human beings are robbed of life, each of their deaths is an incomparable tragedy for God, Whose love makes no distinction among His human creations.

Coronavirus robs its victims of their breath. In the last two minutes of his life, George Floyd begged his tormentor to relent from asphyxiating him. If the ancient Jewish sages were here now, and they taught about God witnessing all of this, I wonder if they would imagine God on a ventilator or down on the street under someone’s knees, moaning, “I, too, can’t breathe.”

This old/new theology of outrage is more than a sermonic device or metaphoric window dressing for religious people’s social justice platforms. It is the basis of our command to dream in empathy with God of a world free of suffering, tragedy and hatred; of our command to call out rampant, systemic injustice in matters of race; of our command to eradicate rampant systemic inequality in matters as diverse as health, housing, and hope.

Each microbituary I read and hear compels me to remember my fellow human beings, to prevent them from becoming abstract statistics. Each microbituary I read and hear compels me to remember that when of us perishes, as it were, a small part of God dies as well, such is the degree of empathic fierceness of God’s love for us.

Each one I read and hear calls me to a life of action and intention, to answer those greatest of all questions: what can, will, must I do to preserve God’s presence in the world, the foundation of human decency and morality? What can, will, must I do to ensure that God’s obituary never gets written?

Dan Ornstein is rabbi at Congregation Ohav Shalom and a writer living in Albany, N.Y. He is the author of “Cain v. Abel: A Jewish Courtroom Drama.” (Jewish Publication Society 2020)

I hope you appreciated this article. Before you go, I’d like to ask you to please support the Forward’s award-winning journalism this Passover.

In this age of misinformation, our work is needed like never before. We report on the news that matters most to American Jews, driven by truth, not ideology.

At a time when newsrooms are closing or cutting back, the Forward has removed its paywall. That means for the first time in our 126-year history, Forward journalism is free to everyone, everywhere. With an ongoing war, rising antisemitism, and a flood of disinformation that may affect the upcoming election, we believe that free and open access to Jewish journalism is imperative.

Readers like you make it all possible. Right now, we’re in the middle of our Passover Pledge Drive and we still need 300 people to step up and make a gift to sustain our trustworthy, independent journalism.

Make a gift of any size and become a Forward member today. You’ll support our mission to tell the American Jewish story fully and fairly. 

— Rachel Fishman Feddersen, Publisher and CEO

Join our mission to tell the Jewish story fully and fairly.

Only 300 more gifts needed by April 30

Republish This Story

Please read before republishing

We’re happy to make this story available to republish for free, unless it originated with JTA, Haaretz or another publication (as indicated on the article) and as long as you follow our guidelines. You must credit the Forward, retain our pixel and preserve our canonical link in Google search.  See our full guidelines for more information, and this guide for detail about canonical URLs.

To republish, copy the HTML by clicking on the yellow button to the right; it includes our tracking pixel, all paragraph styles and hyperlinks, the author byline and credit to the Forward. It does not include images; to avoid copyright violations, you must add them manually, following our guidelines. Please email us at [email protected], subject line “republish,” with any questions or to let us know what stories you’re picking up.

We don't support Internet Explorer

Please use Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or Edge to view this site.