Skip To Content
JEWISH. INDEPENDENT. NONPROFIT.
Community

With COVID, ‘it’s Groundhog day. Every day.’

My child wears the same shirt every day.

Admit it. Yours does too.

If it wasn’t during the COVID pandemic, I might admit to being lazy, to having ignored the fact that he took the shirt out of the hamper and wore it again.

But that’s not the case. The shirt he wears every day is clean.

As a full-time working mother, never before have I had more time to do laundry, to be one with myself to face the monotony of life. I meet my match in dishes when I pass through the kitchen and continuously head to the basement to throw in yet another load of laundry.

It took a few days to realize it. My kids would wear their clothing, put them in the hamper (okay, that’s an outright lie. They’d put it on the floor and then I picked it up and put it in the basket) and then I’d throw in another load. Only too often, the same outfit would again emerge clean and be worn again the next day.

It’s Groundhog day. Every day.

But there must be a better way to push through the daily grind, to stay future-focused while being bogged down with the daily present.

The laundry is done. It’s time for sorting. There’s only one job left -– the kind that leaves you satisfied yet infuriated, complete yet disenfranchised, together but apart –- the matching of the socks. No matter what I do, there’s still more left unmatched. The job is never complete.

And then I find it – the lost sock – and with it returns hope. For a moment, my dreams become possible, new hope emerges. I remember again what life is really about, that my efforts truly matter, and that every struggle is real. Though the days seem to repeat themselves on end, I take comfort in the familiarity of it all.

As I watch the laundry cycle complete its final spin, I realize that perhaps I too have come full circle.

Meira Spivak is the director of Oregon NCSY, where over the past 14 years she has been developing Jewish educational programming for teens and parents. Additionally, she serves as the director of Camp Kesher, a growing summer camp in the Pacific Northwest. She is also an emerging leader in the application of the Systematic Inventive Thinking (SIT) method of creativity.

I hope you appreciated this article. Before you go, I’d like to ask you to please support the Forward’s award-winning journalism this Passover.

In this age of misinformation, our work is needed like never before. We report on the news that matters most to American Jews, driven by truth, not ideology.

At a time when newsrooms are closing or cutting back, the Forward has removed its paywall. That means for the first time in our 126-year history, Forward journalism is free to everyone, everywhere. With an ongoing war, rising antisemitism, and a flood of disinformation that may affect the upcoming election, we believe that free and open access to Jewish journalism is imperative.

Readers like you make it all possible. Right now, we’re in the middle of our Passover Pledge Drive and we need 500 people to step up and make a gift to sustain our trustworthy, independent journalism.

Make a gift of any size and become a Forward member today. You’ll support our mission to tell the American Jewish story fully and fairly. 

— Rachel Fishman Feddersen, Publisher and CEO

Join our mission to tell the Jewish story fully and fairly.

Our Goal: 500 gifts during our Passover Pledge Drive!

Republish This Story

Please read before republishing

We’re happy to make this story available to republish for free, unless it originated with JTA, Haaretz or another publication (as indicated on the article) and as long as you follow our guidelines. You must credit the Forward, retain our pixel and preserve our canonical link in Google search.  See our full guidelines for more information, and this guide for detail about canonical URLs.

To republish, copy the HTML by clicking on the yellow button to the right; it includes our tracking pixel, all paragraph styles and hyperlinks, the author byline and credit to the Forward. It does not include images; to avoid copyright violations, you must add them manually, following our guidelines. Please email us at [email protected], subject line “republish,” with any questions or to let us know what stories you’re picking up.

We don't support Internet Explorer

Please use Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or Edge to view this site.