Skip To Content
JEWISH. INDEPENDENT. NONPROFIT.
Community

The song of the grass blades

One fortuitous outcome of COVID has been my expanded opportunity to walk and hike, since so much entertainment is closed and outdoor interactions are safest. Living in upstate New York, I’ve been blessed to live near stunningly beautiful wooded areas, streams, and mountains in state parks and on private lands run by local conservancies. Most of these places are so close, accessible and safe that they require little more than grabbing a hat, some sunscreen and water, and heading out quite last minute for quiet adventures in nature.

I always thought of these natural sanctuaries as God’s playgrounds, open to visitors that include countless plant and animal species. Walking and hiking this summer far more than I have in the past, I am constantly reminded that we humans are the visitors in these other species’ homes, and we would do well to behave like polite guests.

I leave to psychologists the task of explaining the emotional and chemical effects of trees, streams and silence on the mind. I defer to the biologists who can reveal to us the mysteries of how animals, plants and their ecosystems live in such intricate symbiotic harmony, keepers of deep evolutionary secrets. Like the kid who prefers his friend’s house and toys to his own, all I know is that the respite offered to me by these woods and their occupants leaves me hungry to be with them more.

I think this is because the woods are the exact opposite of what the rest of my busy life is: work, noise, Zoom, concrete, cars, encounters with ego, evil, and the existential anxieties of living in our anguished era. Trees, streams, birds and grass don’t care about us, not because they lack compassion, but because they lack our anxious consciousness. As it were, the occupants of the woods give me permission to enter and become part of their world; they invite me to leave my nonsense behind, even as they leave me behind to go about the business assigned to them by God.

Perhaps I’m overthinking this, but I wonder if my hunger for the woods goes even deeper. Is what lures me to them their music, what the Hasidic master, Rabbi Nachman of Breslov, called the song of the grass blades?

Rabbi Nachman was a tortured soul who may have struggled with mental illness, though about this we will never be sure. He was certainly a high intuitive whose reflections upon his suffering he translated into breathtaking spiritual insights. His teaching about the song of the grass blades, later made famous by singer/songwriter Naomi Shemer, is itself a poem of incomparable beauty:

For know!
Each and every shepherd has his own special melody,
according to the grasses and specific location where he is grazing…
His melody is dictated by the grasses and place he pastures.
Each and every grass blade has a song which it sings.
And from the grass’s song,
the shepherd’s melody is created.

(Likutei Moharan 63:1:2, trans. by Moshe Mykoff)

Rabbi Nachman’s personification of nature singing and making music is not original to Jewish literature. The biblical psalmists and prophets wrote about the heavens and earth rejoicing in song, about the trees clapping their hands together and shouting for joy in the blowing wind.

Nachman took this metaphor and extended it to every lowly, forgettable blade of grass, whose very existence, its every movement in the wind, he believed was one note in the great melody that is God’s creation. I believe that Nachman wasn’t just speaking in musical metaphor.

On his own walks in the woods, he genuinely heard the blades of grass singing in chorus with every other living thing. To paraphrase the British poet and mystic, Gerard Manley Hopkins, when the world is “charged with the grandeur of God”, you can listen to the trees playing Beethoven’s Ode, if you listen well.

I’m no Rabbi Nachman, no aspiring mystical adept, just another human, one more Jew, attempting to add, somewhat out of tune, a few paltry notes of peace and healing to humanity’s often broken song. I’m trying hard, not always with success, to live in and love the world, to leave it better than how I found it.

Yet when I listen carefully to the stream’s flow, the birds’ melodies, the wind-shake of branches and blades, I too, like Nachman, begin to hear them playing God’s greatest symphony: the ever-moving, endlessly chanting force of life, in all its beauty and bestiality, that began at the moment of the big bang and continues even now. That helps me to live my life better, to sing my part of God’s song better.

Every day we are bombarded by the angry cacophonies of self-serving, doctrine-and-dollar—driven drivel coming out of the mouths of the powerful, from all four corners of our polarized human condition. They are drowning out those “shepherd’s tunes” thrumming through the world of nature which remind us that we are one humanity, one unified creation, singing one song of creativity and life.

Walking through the woods to listen deeply to this song is not a frightened escape into fantasy or the mere equivalent of “taking a mental health day.” It is one small yet significant act of restoring the tune: our spiritual balance, our oneness with all living things, our commitment to helping God’s song – life itself – to grace our planet without end.

You may ask how you can start saving our sick world this summer? Begin with a walk in the woods. Bend down, so close, to one blade of grass, and like Rabbi Nachman, open your ears and your heart to its song. You and all of us will be the better for having done so.

Dan Ornstein is rabbi at Congregation Ohav Shalom and a writer living in Albany, N.Y. He is the author of “Cain v. Abel: A Jewish Courtroom Drama.” (Jewish Publication Society 2020)

I hope you appreciated this article. Before you go, I’d like to ask you to please support the Forward’s award-winning journalism this Passover.

In this age of misinformation, our work is needed like never before. We report on the news that matters most to American Jews, driven by truth, not ideology.

At a time when newsrooms are closing or cutting back, the Forward has removed its paywall. That means for the first time in our 126-year history, Forward journalism is free to everyone, everywhere. With an ongoing war, rising antisemitism, and a flood of disinformation that may affect the upcoming election, we believe that free and open access to Jewish journalism is imperative.

Readers like you make it all possible. Right now, we’re in the middle of our Passover Pledge Drive and we need 500 people to step up and make a gift to sustain our trustworthy, independent journalism.

Make a gift of any size and become a Forward member today. You’ll support our mission to tell the American Jewish story fully and fairly. 

— Rachel Fishman Feddersen, Publisher and CEO

Join our mission to tell the Jewish story fully and fairly.

Our Goal: 500 gifts during our Passover Pledge Drive!

Explore

Most Popular

In Case You Missed It

Republish This Story

Please read before republishing

We’re happy to make this story available to republish for free, unless it originated with JTA, Haaretz or another publication (as indicated on the article) and as long as you follow our guidelines. You must credit the Forward, retain our pixel and preserve our canonical link in Google search.  See our full guidelines for more information, and this guide for detail about canonical URLs.

To republish, copy the HTML by clicking on the yellow button to the right; it includes our tracking pixel, all paragraph styles and hyperlinks, the author byline and credit to the Forward. It does not include images; to avoid copyright violations, you must add them manually, following our guidelines. Please email us at [email protected], subject line “republish,” with any questions or to let us know what stories you’re picking up.

We don't support Internet Explorer

Please use Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or Edge to view this site.