Skip To Content
JEWISH. INDEPENDENT. NONPROFIT.
Community

This Rosh Hashanah is for ‘Bad Jews’

What does it mean to be a “Bad Jew?”

Ask this to a Jewish community and you’ll get lots of answers –– more likely as confessions than accusations.

In any Jewish community, I’ve found people have leaped at the opportunity to blame themselves: they will tell you, over and over, that they’re “Bad Jews”: that they’ve been eating cake on Passover, playing Candy Crush during Yom Kippur, or even sneaking Santa Claus into their family Hanukkah.

What’s interesting is that if these “Bad Jews” knew about each other, they’d smile, nod and forgive each other––they know firsthand how complex life and religion can be. But when these self-described “Bad Jews” think about themselves, all that nuance goes out the window.

It’s a bittersweet irony: so many wonderful, thoughtful and intellectually Jews are better at accepting the differences of others than they are at accepting the contradictions in themselves.

Rabbi Lawrence Hoffman, a Professor of Liturgy at Hebrew Union Ccollege, urges Jews to, “Claim whatever you like of Jewish tradition as your own; it is, by nature, already yours. Never say, ‘I don’t know enough, I came to it too late, I wasn’t raised with it in my bones.’ Say instead, ‘I know enough to know it’s mine, I came to it in time to own it now, I can make it part of me in my own way, in my own time.’”

Rabbi Yossi Marcus, the director of Chabad on the North Peninsula, refers to the phenomenon as “low Jewish self-esteem.”

That resonates with me. I’ve seen too many wonderful Jewish people somehow decide that they were “Bad Jews.” They worry that they may somehow be outside the umbrella of Judaism––as though, across all 5780 years of Jewish history and counting, they are somehow so different, so wrong, as not to count. What saddens me more and should concern anyone who cares about a vibrant Jewish future, is that feeling like a Bad Jew can start as an emotion but can morph into an action. The footsteps of so called “Bad Jews” can be heard as they leave virtually every Jewish institution because they feel they don’t count.

They’re wrong. They count. They belong. In fact, many of them are finding resonance in JewBelong, an organization I co-founded.

Judaism is a living religion. It has survived by living: by living beyond the destruction of the temple, beyond the boundaries of time and space, through persecution and plagues. And Judaism has survived not merely for but through us.

You, as you are, are the past, present and future of Judaism –– coming along with all of us into this new Jewish year.

That’s why JewBelong is producing “Sins, Stars and Shofars” as a Virtual Rosh Hashanah Experience on September 18th, 7:30pm EST –– and available to watch the entire High Holiday season as a fundraiser for GlobalJews.org, which focuses on Jews of Color and racial equality in the Jewish community.

With this event, we’re highlighting Jewish and non-Jewish voices from all walks of life, backgrounds and beliefs to celebrate the new year. We’re producing online rituals alongside JewBelong’s Rosh Hashanah booklet with the “script” for Sins, Stars and Shofars so all viewers will be able to follow along.

So please, come to the table knowing you’re as invited as you are already. Know that your questions –– spoken or silent –– are the backbone from which the religion grows.

That’s the Judaism I know. And that’s the Judaism I hope you can know, too.

Archie Gottesman is the cofounder of JewBelong.com.

I hope you appreciated this article. Before you go, I’d like to ask you to please support the Forward’s award-winning journalism this Passover.

In this age of misinformation, our work is needed like never before. We report on the news that matters most to American Jews, driven by truth, not ideology.

At a time when newsrooms are closing or cutting back, the Forward has removed its paywall. That means for the first time in our 126-year history, Forward journalism is free to everyone, everywhere. With an ongoing war, rising antisemitism, and a flood of disinformation that may affect the upcoming election, we believe that free and open access to Jewish journalism is imperative.

Readers like you make it all possible. Right now, we’re in the middle of our Passover Pledge Drive and we still need 300 people to step up and make a gift to sustain our trustworthy, independent journalism.

Make a gift of any size and become a Forward member today. You’ll support our mission to tell the American Jewish story fully and fairly. 

— Rachel Fishman Feddersen, Publisher and CEO

Join our mission to tell the Jewish story fully and fairly.

Only 300 more gifts needed by April 30

Republish This Story

Please read before republishing

We’re happy to make this story available to republish for free, unless it originated with JTA, Haaretz or another publication (as indicated on the article) and as long as you follow our guidelines. You must credit the Forward, retain our pixel and preserve our canonical link in Google search.  See our full guidelines for more information, and this guide for detail about canonical URLs.

To republish, copy the HTML by clicking on the yellow button to the right; it includes our tracking pixel, all paragraph styles and hyperlinks, the author byline and credit to the Forward. It does not include images; to avoid copyright violations, you must add them manually, following our guidelines. Please email us at [email protected], subject line “republish,” with any questions or to let us know what stories you’re picking up.

We don't support Internet Explorer

Please use Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or Edge to view this site.