Skip To Content
JEWISH. INDEPENDENT. NONPROFIT.
Community

How good it is to sit together: Why we re-opened our religious school during the pandemic

When we decided last spring to give all of our religious school students the option to attend in person, I’m pretty sure most people thought it was a pipe dream — and a risky one at that.

We had also thought about other ways to reach our students and how to make virtual classes and programs as engaging as possible. I was so proud of the small group Hebrew program we started in quarantine and continued this year. Our students had more success and skill growth than any year prior, and developed lovely relationships with our Hebrew teachers. I was impressed with the creativity of our teachers who found ways for kids to create tefillin in their home, to have snack and story time over Zoom, and even to participate in prayer together. Something special happened between computers, but even with all that innovation, I still knew we needed to offer more: we needed to attempt to have in-person religious school classes.

So with the support of our synagogue’s entire clergy and staff, and help from the very thoughtful parents on our Religious School committee, we planned for how to open our doors. As the opening week approached, I thought with trepidation about the 100 or so students who would be coming into our building throughout the week to attend religious school in person for the first time since March. I stayed up nights thinking about the risks that I was asking my staff to take. I replayed every detail, every part of the day in my head and held my breath as we opened the doors for the first time.

Ironically, it was the calmest and most organized opening day in my entire career. Children were eager and excited. Parents were patient and understanding. Masks stayed on and kids shared ideas even if they didn’t share snack. Finally, there was life again inside the walls of our synagogue. The joy and relief were palpable. More than that, the feeling of community was revitalized.

There were lots of other ways that we tried to build community this year. It was amazing to be able to engage with our students in their homes — to be invited into new parts of their lives. It was fun to have dogs join Zoom classes and for kids to be able to attend no matter what state or time zone they were in. In fact, even if everything were to return to “normal” tomorrow, we wouldn’t stop offering virtual options — it’s exciting, flexible, convenient and a great alternative.

Yet, try as we might, nothing beats sitting in a room together. Learning builds community. Physical togetherness builds community. Proximity to people, even if it’s six feet farther than we want, makes everything feel different. “Hinei mah tov u’mah nayim shevet achim gam yachad,” we sing — “How good it is to sit together like brothers and sisters.”

Long before this pandemic struck, we struggled with how to make use of technology while not succumbing to it. Before there were lockdowns, we worried about the isolating effect of the iPhone. Yet throughout this pandemic, I’ve been grateful we had all those gadgets and tools so we could have Zoom Seders, pray through Shabbat from our couches, and make latkes together in each other’s kitchens. But we can go only so far in building community when we are in different physical spaces — in fact, research shows that face-to face meetings increase connections even among members of fully online communities, like SecondLife, Twitterers or Yelpers.

Since we welcomed them back, each week that our students were here together, they developed deeper bonds to each other and to our synagogue. By the end of November, I knew each student by the colors of their coats and could recognize parents even through their face masks. Our older students became a sort of support group for one another as they struggled with health and wellness. Some of our younger students who had never really gotten to know each other formed tight bonds and made new friends. Teachers who came into the building were always ready to pitch in and do more, taking on tasks we had never asked of them before. Together, we honored the fear and anxiety that was around us while not allowing it to overcome us. And together, we built the sacred space that is a learning community — even though we couldn’t build hanukiot, share markers or hold hands.

Yes, I know that not everyone felt that having indoor classes was necessary or smart. I know there were and remain risks involved that we could never minimize 100%. Was it worth it? To feel a sense of community, to bond with one another and to see the synagogue as the safe, spiritual center it can be — absolutely.

Rabbi Rena Rifkin is the director of youth education at Stephen Wise Free Synagogue, a Reform congregation on New York’s Upper West Side.

I hope you appreciated this article. Before you go, I’d like to ask you to please support the Forward’s award-winning journalism this Passover.

In this age of misinformation, our work is needed like never before. We report on the news that matters most to American Jews, driven by truth, not ideology.

At a time when newsrooms are closing or cutting back, the Forward has removed its paywall. That means for the first time in our 126-year history, Forward journalism is free to everyone, everywhere. With an ongoing war, rising antisemitism, and a flood of disinformation that may affect the upcoming election, we believe that free and open access to Jewish journalism is imperative.

Readers like you make it all possible. Right now, we’re in the middle of our Passover Pledge Drive and we need 500 people to step up and make a gift to sustain our trustworthy, independent journalism.

Make a gift of any size and become a Forward member today. You’ll support our mission to tell the American Jewish story fully and fairly. 

— Rachel Fishman Feddersen, Publisher and CEO

Join our mission to tell the Jewish story fully and fairly.

Our Goal: 500 gifts during our Passover Pledge Drive!

Republish This Story

Please read before republishing

We’re happy to make this story available to republish for free, unless it originated with JTA, Haaretz or another publication (as indicated on the article) and as long as you follow our guidelines. You must credit the Forward, retain our pixel and preserve our canonical link in Google search.  See our full guidelines for more information, and this guide for detail about canonical URLs.

To republish, copy the HTML by clicking on the yellow button to the right; it includes our tracking pixel, all paragraph styles and hyperlinks, the author byline and credit to the Forward. It does not include images; to avoid copyright violations, you must add them manually, following our guidelines. Please email us at [email protected], subject line “republish,” with any questions or to let us know what stories you’re picking up.

We don't support Internet Explorer

Please use Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or Edge to view this site.