Reform Rabbi: I Turned Down Offer to Speak at Inaugural Service

Graphic by Angelie Zaslavsky
A Reform rabbi from Maryland rejected an invitation to address Donald Trump at a prayer service marking the presidential inauguration because he thought his participation “could appear callous to the many fears in [his] community.”
Writing Tuesday in the Washington Post, Rabbi Ari Plost of Congregation B’nai Abraham in Hagerstown, Maryland, said that he turned down an offer to speak as a Jewish representative at the Presidential Inaugural Prayer Service at the Washington National Cathedral on Saturday morning.
Trump and vice president-elect Mike Pence are slated to attend the service, which has been held at the cathedral each inauguration since 1933.
Plost wrote that he could not, in good conscience, speak at the service.
“My pastoral experiences over the last year have left an indelible mark on me,” he wrote. “In 2016, my congregants and others in my community called upon me overwhelmed and in tears from the constant rhetoric of antagonism and derision. So I turned down the invitation for Saturday’s service because I could not still serve as an authentic pastoral presence if I were to participate in a ceremony where my presence could appear callous to the many fears in my community.”
Contact Josh Nathan-Kazis at [email protected]
Why I became the Forward’s editor-in-chief
You are surely a friend of the Forward if you’re reading this. And so it’s with excitement and awe — of all that the Forward is, was, and will be — that I introduce myself to you as the Forward’s newest editor-in-chief.
And what a time to step into the leadership of this storied Jewish institution! For 129 years, the Forward has shaped and told the American Jewish story. I’m stepping in at an intense time for Jews the world over. We urgently need the Forward’s courageous, unflinching journalism — not only as a source of reliable information, but to provide inspiration, healing and hope.
— Alyssa Katz, editor-in-chief
