Fashionista Alexandra Shulman Steps Down From British Vogue

Alexandra Shulman Image by Getty Images
Alexandra Shulman, one of the biggest names in the world of fashion, is stepping down as editor-in-chief of British Vogue after 25 years, the magazine’s publisher Conde Nast announced on Wednesday.
Shulman’s reign culminated in Vogue’s centenary celebrations last year, marked by an exclusive cover photo shoot with Prince William’s wife Kate, the Duchess of Cambridge, whose dress sense is widely admired by fashionistas.
“It has been very hard to find a rational reason to leave what is unquestionably a fascinating and rewarding role but last autumn I realized that I very much wanted to experience a different life,” said Shulman.
Conde Nast said an announcement about a successor would be made in due course.
Shulman was honored by Queen Elizabeth in 2005 for services to the magazine industry and in 2013 she was included in a list of the 100 most powerful women in the United Kingdom, compiled by the BBC’s “Woman’s Hour” radio program.
Shulman said Vogue was a “precious cargo” and one of her greatest privileges had been to steer it during its centenary.
Why I became the Forward’s editor-in-chief
You are surely a friend of the Forward if you’re reading this. And so it’s with excitement and awe — of all that the Forward is, was, and will be — that I introduce myself to you as the Forward’s newest editor-in-chief.
And what a time to step into the leadership of this storied Jewish institution! For 129 years, the Forward has shaped and told the American Jewish story. I’m stepping in at an intense time for Jews the world over. We urgently need the Forward’s courageous, unflinching journalism — not only as a source of reliable information, but to provide inspiration, healing and hope.
— Alyssa Katz, editor-in-chief
